Lack of World Cup coverage at SJCC

San Jose City College should not miss this opportunity to display the biggest sporting event in the world

Courtesy of Getty Images Alexander Hassenstein

Photo by Alexander Hassenstein – FIFA/FIFA via Getty Images

Since the official kickoff of the FIFA World Cup Qatar 2022 on Nov. 20, the entire world has been tuning week in and week out to catch 32 different nations play with the sole intention of winning the prestigious trophy which is the World Cup.

We as students have received the privilege of being invited by SJCC to come out and support the different countries participating in this grand soccer tournament.

This event provides students with a chance to connect with others to enjoy 90 minutes of the beautiful game of fútbol, or soccer as it’s referred to in the U.S.

Although SJCC did not show the opening game which commenced on Sunday Nov. 20, they did announce that all students could come out to the Student Center at 11:00 a.m. to catch the game between the United States against Iran.

Although this game is important because it represents the country, there are others games with other nations that also need equal representation.

SJCC took a step in the right direction by deciding to announce another game on Nov. 30 between Mexico and Saudi Arabia at 11:00 a.m. in the Student Center, but unfortunately it ended there.

After discussing with students about their opinion of this event, one quote that stood out to me was, “I think this is a product of having a student center community, we need a space like this,” said Political Science major Vitumbiko Kambilonje

By SJCC hosting more games in the Student Center there would be a creation of a community that will continue even after the World Cup.

Not only did this leave students in the dark wondering whether or not the school was going to host more viewing parties, it felt like a disservice not to use this sporting event opportunity to gather more students to support their nation of choice.

If SJCC decided to show one game, I feel there should be an obligation to show other important games such as a quarter-final, semifinal or even final game.

The culmination of this event should be something that is televised for the whole school to see and witness and celebrate the eventual winners, whether it be Argentina or France.

If you have interest in how this event will conclude make sure to tune in to your local television channels on Sunday, Dec. 18 at 7:00 a.m., as you will not want to miss this historical game.