After 3 wins, Jags’ offense struggles

Jaguars take formation on the line of scrimmage against Monterey Peninsula College at San Jose City College on Nov. 9.

Interceptions and fumbles block path to victory

The San Jose City College Jaguars lost a long, uphill battle to the Monterey Peninsula College Lobos 52-30 at SJCC on Nov. 9 after winning three games in a row.

The Jags started off strong, keeping the score within three points by the end of the first half, but the Lobos ran away with the game after several turnovers in the third quarter, scoring five touchdowns to the Jags’ one.

“It was just a bad night for us,” said Carlton Connor, head coach of the Jaguars. “When you turn the ball over four or five times, you’re not going to win the game.”

The Jags began the second half with an ominous fumble that resulted in a touchdown for the Lobos, immediately followed by another fumble that left freshman wide receiver Isiah Runderson injured.

Several Lobos and Jags players respectfully took a knee as Runderson was transported off the field in an ambulance to Santa Clara Valley Medical Center.

Runderson is doing better now, Connor wrote in an e-mail. Additional details were not provided and several players refused to comment.

Freshman quarterback Caleb Pruneda threw an interception to the Lobos in the second quarter, which resulted in a touchdown, but freshman wide receiver Lydell Williams helped the Jags force their way down the field for a touchdown just before the end of the half, leaving the score at 21-18.

The rest of the night was mired with frequent fumbles and interceptions from freshman quarterback Brodrick Thomas, resulting in several touchdowns for the Lobos.

“Both teams played hard, but it was a big turnover game and that really helped us,” said Mike Rasmussen, head coach of the Lobos.

The Jags still made a valiant effort to close the gap in the fourth quarter with a touchdown from freshman running back Gabriel Davis.

It came a little too late in the game, and, to add insult to injury, the Lobos decided to call a timeout with less than five seconds remaining in the quarter.

“We were hoping to come out the second half, get the kick off and do something with it,” said Connor, “but we put the ball on the ground and gave the defense a short field.”

The last football game of the season was scheduled for Nov. 16.

[portfolio_slideshow id=8972]

$662
$1000