Lady Jags optimistic for future

Iber Moreno, Times Staff

The women’s basketball program seems to be going in the right direction, players said.

Freshman Rylie Valderama explains how this season went for herself and the team.

“There were lots of ups and downs this season, but we did really well. I feel I did really well, but then I got injured midway through the season,” Valderama said.

Valderama also talks about her future goals for herself and the team next season.

The team went 11-15 overall and got second place in the conference behind Monterey Peninsula, who took first place.

“I hope to have a full recovery from my injury by getting a lot of rehab,” Valderama said. “I also hope to be ranked first in the conference, be ranked higher for more rebounds and to get defensive player of the year.”

First- year player Layla Bernal also spoke about how this season went for the team.

“How we started this season was pretty decent, but I feel like we could’ve beaten MPC if we would have put our hearts into that game,” Bernal said.

Bernal also explained how she did this season and her goals for next years season.

“I think I did pretty well. I could have scored more if I went through the holes, but with my three pointers I got a good amount of points this season,” Bernal said. “My goal next year is to get better at my skills and to connect with the team more next season and work more as a whole.”