Athletes should be more involved on campus

Patrick Loera

There is a problem in San Jose City College’s Athletic Department.

Aside from the obvious problems, such as not having a permanent athletic director or not getting fans from SJCC to go to games and events, the problem is the athletes’ influence on campus.

Where’s the school involvement from the athletes? It is true that SJCC sports do their part in the community off campus, but when do they do anything on campus with the students and faculty who are supporting them?

The Jaguars football team, which suffered from an abundance of criticism for a poor record last season, winning only one of eight games, seems to be in a restructuring phase and not ready for more public involvement than on the field.

There are a few players that are noticeable and decked-out in Jag apparel that are on campus long enough to make an impact, but not many.

What is to stop them from showing the campus that they are above a poor record, they have sportsmanship and know how to be champions again by becoming leaders on campus that fans should cheer for at games next season?

Then there is the Jaguars softball team, our imperial Lady Jags, who have been the most successful team on campus in the past five years, winning four of five conference championships, and they are recognized as sixth in the nation for highest grade-point average.

Still, the team’s presence on campus is undetectable unless there is a game or a practice in Jaguar Stadium.

Although there are a few shining, all-academic stars on the team, what’s to stop them from tutoring students or volunteering to show incoming students around campus? Can you Lady Jags imagine having more classmates and fans from campus shouting for you at Jaguars Stadium?

On the other hand, one can imagine how a campus connection can be a daunting task for SJCC delicate men’s basketball team when it was suspected of theft at the beginning of last season.

Consequently, the team fell out of sync on the court for a moment, and it bounced back with an eight-game win streak, but not in the community.
Why not prove the critics wrong by becoming more open and involved on campus?

The Jaguars women’s basketball team has also been unnoticeable on campus. It is great that it recently worked with kids to teach them basketball techniques, but what does that do for the students on our campus? Has anybody on campus observed the teams influence on campus since its 1998 state championship?

What about the Jaguars golf team? Are they a myth like big foot with distant sightings and unimaginable stories? Well, we do have a golf team, but nobody would have known it if the Times did not publish their results.

Dear Mr. Roger Maltbie, can you please send the golf team some golf swag to golf in, wear on campus while they talk about golf and sell in the golf section of the book store? FORE! Thank you.

The only teams on campus that have made somewhat of an impact on the campus community is one that is underfunded, the track and field and cross country teams.

They frequently raise funds for equipment and travel by holding community-wide fundraisers where they actually serve pancakes to the attendants of the event.

Fundraising for a good cause notwithstanding, if all the athletes on campus were more involved with the campus, they might see an increase in attendance at their games and events assuming the Associated Student Government’s director of publicity gets its act together and actually starts publicizing some games and events.

Not just that, but if the athletes were more involved with students, the campus community would not be able to accuse them of being selfish, stuck-up, thieves, disruptive and academically favored because of sports. Instead, the campus community would view the SJCC athletes as Jaguars leaders, role models and motivators. Be the change.

8 Comments

8 Responses to “Athletes should be more involved on campus”

1. Jose Gonzalez-Mejia on April 29th, 2013 12:14 pm

Thank you for putting this issue forward its a great start to making changes in athletics at SJCC. Also, as a SJCC track and cross country alumni thank you for recognizing the team as one of the few teams to be involve with our student community…

2. Patrick Loera on May 1st, 2013 2:30 pm

Thank you, Jose.

3. News Column | patrickloera on May 1st, 2013 2:40 pm

[…] Athletes should be more involved on campus […]

4. Baseball Batting Helmets on May 30th, 2013 5:04 am

I loved as much as you will receive carried out
    right here. The sketch is tasteful, your authored material stylish.
    nonetheless, you command get bought an impatience over that you wish be delivering the
    following. unwell unquestionably come more formerly again since exactly the same nearly very often
    inside case you shield this hike.

5. Marie McEwen on September 9th, 2013 10:58 am

Please get a sports journalist for your paper. I, for one, would like to read about the successes and losses on the field as it relates to the sport of the season. Right now its football. The first game of the season was a big one yet all I see in the school news is this outdated article boo hooing about players not supporting everyone else enough. Where is the support for the football team?? This is my first season being associated with SJCC football in any capacity and honestly I am seriously disappointed on every level. If you want people to be more visible on the campus how about starting with your paper. Suggesting that the players are “selfish, stuck-up, thieves, disruptive and academically favored because of sports” doesn’t help. If that is way people treat student athletes then I don’t blame them for wanting to be low key in hopes of staying away from all things negative. Post the schedule of games. If you don’t have one, ask. If they don’t have one, ask when they will. If they don’t know, ask for a draft. Act like you care. Be visible at the games. Interview new players. Interview fans at the games. DON’T BASH THEM IF THEY LOSE! Support your teams no matter what and they will be more visible on the campus. Its just a theory and you can run with it or run from it but what ever you do…UPDATE YOUR PAPER!

6. Patrick Loera on October 21st, 2013 9:23 pm

Greetings, Marie McEwen,
    I couldn’t agree with you more about the SJCC Times needing a sports journalist. Personally, as the former sports journalist/ columnist, I wish I could have accommodated your request for updated football news and scores this semester; in fact, I am considering contributing as I am no longer part of the SJCC Times staff. Nonetheless, I must say, my gathered opinion in the current piece of which we are commenting does not reflect the opinions of the professor, the school or the other journalists that join the attrition affected SJCC Times from semester to semester. I appreciate your feedback and I hope to work with the SJCC Times in the future to help keep students up to date on sports news. Please be sure to comment of the second part to this column titled “Jersey and a backpack” published on May 14, 2013 in the SJCC Times. – http://sjcctimes.com/sports/jersey-and-a-backpack/

Here are a few articles and columns I wrote last fall while I was part of the staff:
    • Déjà vu falls upon Jaguars
    Sept. 27, 2012
    SJCC Times
    http://sjcctimes.com/sports/deja-vu-falls-upon-jaguars/
    • (Column) Is it the fans?
    Sept. 27, 2012
    SJCC Times
    http://sjcctimes.com/opinion/is-it-the-fans/
    • (Column)Brotherhood equals victory
    Oct. 23, 2012
    SJCC Times
    http://sjcctimes.com/opinion/brotherhood-equals-victory/
    • (Brief) Football avoids season shut out
    Nov. 20, 2012
    SJCC Times
    http://sjcctimes.com/sports/sports-briefs-2/

7. admin on October 23rd, 2013 12:51 pm

Hello Marie,

Thank you for your feedback. Feel free to read our sports piece on the football team that was published yesterday (Oct. 22).

http://sjcctimes.com/campus-life/jaguars-refocus-on-positives/

8. Marie McEwen on October 28th, 2013 3:14 pm

Greetings,

Thank you for taking my comment seriously and providing such thorough reply. I read the October 22 peice; it was good. I agree with Coach Conner in that I think the team needs to hear more positive and uplifting statements about the season. I mean, this season has been a really exciting season of growth for SJCC football. The team has made so many positive strides over the course of the last three games. The first four losses seemed to drive the team to a point where they were gonna either gel or fall apart. I don’t know how much the loss of the offensive coach impacted the team but it surely seemed to make a difference on the field. The Yuba game appeared a turning point for the offense. They fought hard and scored thier first non-conference win (27-10). You had to be there to see how it pushed them through that wall. It was what they needed. The last two games have been conference games and they have both ended with wins. It was an exceptionally good game to watch because both teams had something to prove. For SJCC, it was proof that they can be more than a one win team; the Jags won 39-21. This last game…it was AWESOME! I have looked for a write up from the SJCC perspective for two days now. I was really hoping to see a current artical in the SJCC newspaper but it may be too soon. Gavilan reported that they were actually worried because SJC was on a “coming off two wins”. All four qtrs were good but the last few seconds of the game (.4, if I remember correctly) were the most intense. A game that comes down to the extra point to tie the game and go into overtime is absolutely crazy making! It was like that moment in the movie when your cheering for the underdog and, in this case, you are right there with them when fate allows something wonderful happen; 27-26 was the final score, 27-26! The next game against Hartnell (away) is going to be a tough one. Hartnell is 5-2 with 2-0 in conference games. If our defense can continue to play smart, hard hitting, football and our offense can consistently put the points on the board then we may have quite the match up on our hands. I don’t know if someone will be there to cover the game but if so, that would be great. If not, there is still West Valley and Monterey (at home). I hear West Valley’s football program may be in jeopardy. They have only won one game so they may play as if their program is on the line. Currently, Monterey is 3-4 with 2-0 conference wins (just like SJC). That game may be a nailbiter as well…who knows. Anyway, I’m sorry for the length of this “comment” but I get pretty excited for the team, not just my son. They are a great group of players with a great team of coaches. Win or lose they are the 2013-14 SJCC football team and need our support.