Meet the coaches

Head coach Percy Carr

Percy Carr is in his 39th year as the head coach of Men’s basketball.

Percy Carr is entering his 39th year as head basketball coach for the Jaguars.

Carr attended the College of the Sequoias for community college and graduated from Fresno State University where he majored in physical education and minored in humanities.

With more than 800 wins, Carr is the winningest coach in California community college history.

In Carr’s tenure, the Jaguars have gone to the playoffs 32 of 36 years.

He has guided eight different Jaguar teams to the State Championships, claimed 12 Conference Championships and has produced 17 first team all-state players.

In March 1998, he was inducted to the California Community College Basketball Coaches Association’s Hall of Fame.

Carr also is the director of the Creative Athletic Retention Response program at SJCC, which assists student athletes academically to prepare to transfer to a four-year university.

And in September 2000, Coach Carr was honored by the 100 Black Men of the Silicon Valley Organization as the Educator of the Year.

Assistant coach Jason James

Assistant coach Jason James is in his second year at San Jose City College.

James attended Central Washington University where he played two years of college basketball Central Washington from 1991-1992 and 1995-1996 and graduated with a bachelor’s in physical education and a minor in health.

After Central Washington University, James earned his master’s degree in Educational Technology from City University in 2001.

Prior to coming to SJCC, James had taught physical education in the Eastside Union High School District. He spent eight years at James Lick High School and four at Silver Creek High School.

Assistant coach Dallas Jensen

Assistant coach Dallas Jensen is in his first year at San Jose City College.

After attending SJCC from 1999-2001, Jensen transferred to Brigham Young University-Hawai’i where he obtained a bachelor’s in psychology.

Jensen is an ideal fit for the position as he is a former Jaguar who played under Carr as a point guard and shooting guard.

As a Jaguar, Jensen helped SJCC go undefeated in conference two years in a row. He also went 44 percent from three-point land in his career as a college athlete.

Head coach Terri Oberg

Terri Oberg, also known as Coach “O,” is in her 21st year as head coach of the women’s basketball team at San Jose City College.

As a college student athlete who participated in basketball and softball, Oberg attended California State University Fullerton on a full softball scholarship where she would lead her team to a national title during her senior year.

Later, she attended San Jose State University and received her master’s degree in human performance

Oberg has led the Lady Jags to the Northern California Regional Play-offs 17 times and has gone to the women’s state championships four.

She made school history in the 1997-98 season when she led the Lady Jags to their first women’s state championship victory.

Assistant coach Fritzie Villegas

Assistant coach Fritze Villegas is in her second year at San Jose City College.

Villegas attended San Jose State University where she received a bachelor’s in kinesiology with an emphasis in movement science and minored in African American studies, sports nutrition and sports psychology in 2006.

Villegas began her coaching career at Leigh High School, moved to Monta Vista High School, and finally went to Wilcox High School before coming to SJCC.

Head coach Debbie Huntze-Rooney

Debbie Huntze-Rooney is entering her 19th year as head coach of the women’s softball team.

Huntze-Rooney played softball and basketball at West Valley College before transferring to Chico State University where she would also play softball and field hockey.

During her time at SJCC, Huntze-Rooney has managed to lead the Lady Jags to the Regional Play-offs 15 years in a row.

With more than 500 wins, she has also received Coast Conference Coach of the year, and Northern California Coach of the Year Awards.

Assistant coach Jenny Montez

Jenny Montez is in her fourth season as assistant coach at San Jose City College.

After graduating from Wilcox High School in 2006, Montez attended and played softball for SJCC for two years before transferring to California State Monterey Bay where she continued her softball career a bachelor’s in social and behavioral sciences.

$662
$1000