Football players sign scholarships

Three San Jose City College football players have received scholarship offers to transfer to the college of their choice and play at the next level.

Harry Adeji, wide receiver, earned his Associate Degree last semester and has transferred to Adams State in Colorado.

Denzel McCullum, wide receiver from Miami, Fla., has also transferred to Adams State.

Sophomore Tim Brown, linebacker, from Kapoeli High School in Hawaii, will attend Eastern Michigan University on a full-ride scholarship.

Brown said he was talking to Nevada, but Eastern Michigan had a good school program with an overall good family feeling.

“One guy from Hawaii that is out there gave me the ropes,” Brown said.

Brown said that through the SJCC football season, his defensive coordinator leader, C. J. Arnold, never gave up on him.

“He helped me with my recruiting and put my film together,” Brown said of Arnold. “When I was frustrated with other issues outside of football, he would help me out.”

He said SJCC football head coach Carlton Connor and Arnold would push him and were supportive in his decision.

“They open up doors; but if you don’t help yourself, then you won’t get anywhere,” Brown said.

He said his biggest influences are his parents and son.

“I want to give my son a nice upbringing, since it was a rough one for me,” Brown said. “It was a big deal when I got a scholarship because we don’t get big breaks like that.”

Brown will earn his associate degree in criminal justice this semester.

“Every football player wants to try and compete,” Brown said. “If I don’t get there, I at least have a degree to fall back on.”

$662
$1000