The Unknown Soccer Club

Love for the game is the key behind the soccer club, said co-founder Alfred Vega, a 20-year-old student majoring in criminal justice.

“We are trying to educate people about the sport. It’s also fun and you get healthy,” Said Vega. “The only thing you need to bring is (athletic) shoes or cleats, and wear shorts. Shin guards are not needed just yet, but when a full game, yes”.

Members like Brian Alvarado, 20-year-old student majoring in computer engineering and Javier Moreno made the purpose of the soccer club clear.

“Soccer is an international sport. There are more soccer teams than you would have baseball or (American) football teams.” Alvarado said.

Looking onto the field, you notice people of all different backgrounds, history and creeds; all have love for the game and passion to play.

“It’s better than being out on the streets, drinking, doing drugs. We’re just playing a game. Who are we hurting?” said Moreno while resting from practice.

Soccer club member Sahr Nbawa, 19-year-old student majoring in engineering said that practice seemed to be an issue for the soccer club, being that they are unable to practice or hold games on the newly developed field.

“The field is still being punched list. Some issues have been brought to their (the company who built it) attention through our department; one being that there are no goal posts, because there was no decision to get them” said Athletics Department Director Debbie Rooney.

“We do have soccer classes happening now, but they are not full games, and he (instructor) knows the limitations of the class” she said.

At the end of the interview, Rooney assured that an open dialog has begun between the soccer club and the athletics department where field issues can be resolved.

“We are trying to start two teams, not one,” said Vega. “We’re trying to get a girls’ team started, and the guys’ team as well.”

“It’s a good way to get away from everything else,” said Vega. “You concentrate so much on the game, you forget everything else.”

$662
$1000