College survival almanac 2018

a list of on-campus resources

San Jose City College offers programs, services and resources that are designed to help students lead healthy, productive and stress free lives.

Health Services

SJCC offers a comprehensive array of health-related services available to all students. Student Health Services offers general appointments with a doctor, physical examinations, birth control solutions, STI screenings and treatments, adult immunization, blood pressure checks, vision screenings and a program to quit smoking.

These services can be accessed by visiting SC-109 in the Student Center.

Case Management

Continuing on student health, SJCC Case Management Services provide help to students who are experiencing some measure of distress. Students can seek out free and confidential help if they are suffering from stress, anxiety, depression, trauma, grief, loss, addictive behaviors, eating disorders or any mental health related issue that may potentially plague our lives.

The contact for Case Management Services is Sophia De La Fuente at (408) 288-3151. Case Management Services is in the Health Center at SC-109C in the Student Center.

Financial Aid

For students looking for ways to help pay for college and related expenses, SJCC has a Financial Aid department which can help you find the right programs and scholarships that will make college more affordable.

The Financial Aid center is in the Student Center at SC-103 and can be contacted at (408) 288-3741.

Counseling

The SJCC counseling program offers assistance to students in need of academic advice or direction. Students can seek help with academic-related matters as well as career exploration and development.

SJCC’s counseling department is on the second floor of the Student Center at SC-200 and its phone number is (408) 288-3758

Tutoring Center

The tutoring center on campus offers free assistance from peer tutors on a variety of subjects with access to resources such as course textbooks, solution manuals, graphing calculators, and computers. Each student can schedule one-hour weekly tutoring appointments to seek individualized help and instruction.

The Tutoring Center is on the first floor of the Library at L-105 and can be reached at (408) 298-2181.

Reading and Writing

SJCC also has a Reading and Writing Center on campus, which is the sister lab to the tutoring center.

The RWC provides similar services to the tutoring center tailored toward helping students with any assistance they may need in regards to reading or writing skills and assignments.

The RWC is also on the first floor of the Library at L-103 and can be reached at (408)288-3758.

Sparkpoint

Sparkpoint is a service offered by San Jose Evergreen Community College District that provides assistance in the area of personal finance.

Financial coaching, career coaching, credit and debit counseling and free legal clinics are all provided to students through Sparkpoint.

Sparkpoint can be found in the Tech Center at T-124 and can be reached at (408) 918-5199.

Clubs

SJCC plays host to clubs and student organizations that allow students to explore interests and meet others with a shared passion. Listed here are the active student organizations;

American Chemical Society, Black Student Union, Cosmetology Club, Coexist Interfaith Dialogue Club, Gay/Straight Alliance, Journalism Club, MeCha, Media Club, Mental Health Client Association, Muslim Student Association, Nihon-Kai Japanese Club, Health and Science Club, San Jose City College Robotics and Automation Club, Soccer Club, Society for Advancement of Chicanos and Native Americans in Science, Students for Social Justice, Veterans Association, Vietnamese Student Association, United Worlds Student Association.

Athletic Department

SJCC’s athletic program consists of 10 inter-collegiate athletic teams. Teams consist of football, golf, softball, volleyball, men’s and women’s cross country, men’s and women’s track and field as well as men’s and women’s basketball.

To find out more about getting involved with SJCC sports you, can reach the athletic counselor Veronica Harris at (408) 298-2181 extension 3344.