Research paper remedies

Get an A on your next writing assignment!

Melissa Maria Martinez, Times Staff

Each one of us has or will have to write a research paper. For some, writing a paper comes really naturally, but for people like me it’s easy to get stuck looking for credible sources, organizing ideas, writing a thesis and fine tuning the finished product. Here is some useful advice to help you avoid getting stuck the next time you have to do a research paper.

Budget your time Before you begin writing you will need to do research. Plan to spend about 80 percent of your time doing research, and about 20 percent writing your paper.

Credible sources Start by visiting the San Jose City College online library database. Regardless of the topic you are researching this database is the best place to start. It has infinite research materials; from eBooks to current global news coverage and statistics. It also provides the proper source citation in MLA and APA formats. http://www.sjcc.edu/current-students/library/databases

The Note Card Technique An essay is nothing more than a collection of note cards and when you get enough of these note cards together you have an essay. It’s important to devote just one idea or quote to a card.

Write down that one main idea or quote on the note card, chose a subtopic to label the card on the top left corner, then list the page number you found that idea or quote on the bottom right corner. Turn the card around and write the citation information. This will help you when it’s time to do you the bibliography page.

Sort your cards by topic into paragraphs. For example, if I was writing a research paper on the life and works of my favorite female author, Charlotte Perkins Gillman, I might have piles of cards for:  The Yellow Wallpaper versus Herland, Gilman’s criticisms of society, Gilman’s call to action, Gillman’s illness and suicide.

Thesis Generator After you’ve organized your cards by topic you’ll need a thesis. It’s always been a challenge for me to come up with a clear thesis. Luckily, many college websites offer a thesis generator free of charge. You can either search for one on Google or use the web address below; follow the site’s instructions and you’ll have your thesis. http://corptrain.phoenix.edu/thesis_generator/thesis_generator.html

Now that you have your thesis and sorted note cards you are ready to start writing your outline and first draft.

PaperRater.com After you’ve finished your essay you’ll want to get feedback. Feedback will help you fine tune your essay. If someone is not available to proofread your paper you can go online to PaperRater.com. Cut and paste your essay onto the website and it will check for errors, plagiarism, it will even grade your paper! http://paperrater.com/free_paper_grader.

Never procrastinate! You should never wait for the last minute to start working on any assignment. There may be some people who can pull it off but I’m not one of them. If I want an ‘A’ I need to give myself time.

Let us know how you did! Use these tricks for your next research paper and share them with your friends. If you or someone you know wants to share their secrets to acing a paper let us know, we’re eager to hear from you!

3 Comments

3 Responses to “Research paper remedies”

1. Sarah James on September 28th, 2016 9:14 pm

Wow, my mind is blown! Just pasted my research into Paper Rater and it really works!

2. Melissa M. on October 3rd, 2016 2:27 pm

Glad to hear it! Make sure you tell your friends!

3. Carrie Fletcher on October 4th, 2016 3:48 pm

Thank you for sharing this! PaperRater evaluated my paper and gave me some great recommendations on how to improve readability!

• Research paper remedies

Campus Life

Spotlight: SJCC Student Health Services

• Research paper remedies

Campus Life

SJCC club spotlight: robots and technology

• Briefs

Dia de los muertos at SJCC

• Research paper remedies

Campus Life

Staff Takes on Halloween

• Campus Life

Potential employers attend SJCC job fair

• Research paper remedies

Campus Life

Burgers around campus: what’s the best?

• Research paper remedies

Campus Life

College survival almanac 2018

• Research paper remedies

Campus Life

SJCC’s paw-some neighbor

• Research paper remedies

Campus Life

10 reasons to take Journalism at SJCC

• Research paper remedies

Arts and Entertainment

Jaguars rip the runway

Research paper remedies