Parking lot panic

How to handle parking situations

School parking can be frustrating, especially during peak hours.
A common scenario is when you are driving around and around looking for an open spot while others are doing the same, and when you finally find one, another person goes for the same spot.
Another frustrating example: you are stuck behind a car going extremely slow or they come to a complete stop, and you are already late for class.
The frustration and struggles of school parking can bring anyone’s mood down, but worry no further; here is a guide to help you in your parking endeavors.
First off, let us establish those peak hours. Peak hours are split into two time periods: early morning from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. and early evening from 5 p.m. to 6 p.m.
Now let us take a look at designated student parking, which consists of two main parking areas and two smaller ones.
For the two main parking areas, the first and most used is the student parking garage entered via Leigh Avenue. This garage is usually packed during peak hours, and since there is only one way up and one way down, you might get stuck in traffic. Malisa Nath, 20, communication major, said about the garage, “I hate how small and cramped the parking spaces are.”
The second main parking lot is made up of a few lots entered via Bascom Avenue, next to Wendy’s fast food restaurant. This area has plenty of parking spaces and you can usually find an open spot near the back, even during peak hours.
This area is also ideal because there are many routes to different areas of parking, and since it is a lesser known parking lot, you might run into less traffic.
The following parking lots are a bit smaller but definitely worth a try.
There is a small parking lot next to the football field across from the garage via Leigh Avenue. This lot is sometimes confused for staff parking so students are skeptical of parking here.
The other small parking lot is located next to the science complex building. One side is for teachers, and the other for students.
The trick to parking here is arriving with enough time to wait for a spot to open up. If you are lucky, a spot might open up within 5 to 10 minutes.
This lot is convenient because it is the closest parking area to a majority of classes. If you are going to spend 5 to 10 minutes looking for parking, you might as well waste the same amount of time looking for closer parking.
It is important to note that the parking lots mentioned require a permit. If you are looking for free parking, there are plenty of options around campus.
Moorpark Avenue has the most available free parking, and parking is available on both sides of the street there.
Free parking is also available on the street of Leigh Ave next to the track. There is usually plenty, but it is a bit of a walk to class. Adrian Law, microbiology major, said, “I park on the streets for free and also I feel my car is safe because there’s always people passing by.”
If you do not mind walking a bit, parking is available in the neighborhoods of Kingman Avenue via Leigh Avenue.

$662
$1000