How the new professor of SJCC radio is revitalizing the department

No more dead air on the SJCC radio – live shows are back

Jerrald McMillon / Times Staff
Claudia Iseman is the new advisor for the radio broadcasting department at SJCC. Jammaar Hall (right) is a student of the class.

A new professor has been brought onto the radio station team at San Jose City College, with the station named K-Jose City College.

Claudia Iseman stepped into the new role this year after a friend told her about the chance to work with students at SJCC.

“I love local news, I am a news junkie,” Iseman said. “I am a second-generation San Jose-an and it pains me to see that people are not getting local news anymore.”

Leading the team as station manager is Farranni Ron, who goes by ‘’Bigs’’, a former student of the class.

Ron “Bigs” said he is excited to be back on live air, streaming online now. He is also looking forward to gaining new skills taught by Iseman.

Students have to enroll in a radio broadcasting station class, plus an additional two courses, to get a radio certificate to transfer out of San Jose City College.

Besty Gilbert, the former advisor for broadcasting, will not be returning to SJCC as the professor.

The radio station program features advertisers, Top 40 music hits and highlights cafeteria foods, on-campus events and athletic sports games on a series episodes that are programmed as live shows at SJCC.

At 16, Iseman attended Willow Glen for her junior year of high school and was put in charge of doing the school announcements. That’s when she said she first fell in love with communication, which later led her to obtaining a journalism degree from San Francisco State University.

In addition to teaching, Iseman is also a news anchor for KSCO radio in Santa Cruz.

“I am asking them to focus on campus life and campus news, keeping it live and local, that’s our motto this semester,” Iseman said. “I would love to stay here for a long time, I am dedicated because I am really happy that the broadcasting department is not phasing out.”