Conquering of the odds

BRIANNE GERACI
CONTRIBUTOR

Fifteen years ago, people thought I might never attend or graduate from college. Well, obviously that theory has changed. Born with learning disabilities and physical challenges, I have beaten the odds immensely.

Growing up, I have achieved goals differently than other people. A degree that takes an average student to complete in two years has now taken me six years. I plan to graduate this May.

All my work and dedication, every moment of success, no matter how long the road has been, and it has been a long road.

I am taking Algebra 11A, and I am excited and overjoyed to be placed in the class. My family never thought I would make it into an algebra class because of my learning disability. But when you know you have one class left to complete to receive your degree, you will stop at nothing to get it.

When I was in middle school and high school, I dreaded math class. All those numbers made me want to sleep.

When I started at San Jose City College in the fall of 2005, I was placed in the 310 math class.

This class took me almost 3 years to complete. This past semester I received a 95 percent on the 310 math final. When I had found out I had passed; I was on a search to find an Algebra instructor.

Just before the semester was coming to an end, I heard from a student about a specific instructor. I emailed the instructor right away.

I wanted to find out on my own how amazing this instructor was. I met Ms. Cribbs in the math tutoring lab, and that’s when I knew she would be the instructor who would help me get past my last hurdle; algebra.

Now, there is not a day that goes by when I dread going to algebra class. Ms. Cribbs makes class time fun. I almost get sad when class time is over. But I know my brain needs a break from learning about all those numbers, variables and fractions.

Ms. Cribbs encourages me all the time to succeed to my very best. I might not be a great mathematician at the end of the semester, but I will be proud to say I passed algebra.

To my classmates, and soon-to-be fellow graduates, what are you willing to do to reach your ultimate goals?

$662
$1000