Binge watch your favorite TV shows during shelter-in-place order

Kill some time while in lockdown

Jayatri Bhattacharya, Times Staff

SJCC Students can stream these movies during the coronavirus quarantine.

Many people across the globe are sick with coronavirus and everyone is strongly advised to stay home.
Movie theaters, schools, restaurants and jobs are closed. Whether working from home or just relaxing in the comfort of your own home, it is a convenient time to catch up on your favorite show, movie or just start a new one.
Below are six television shows to entertain you while social distancing.

“The Office,” U.S. Version. Streaming platform: Netflix
Feel the need to escape from the workplace? Come take a look at the most popular mockumentary about a small paper company called Dunder Mifflin.

You have the annoying boss, the office brat, the manager’s pet, the smart and logical one, etc. The show stars Steve Carell, John Krasinski, Jenna Fisher, Angela Kinsey and Rainn Wilson. The office is well-known for its adult humor.

The show resembles how an everyday office is typically run and what the work environment is like.

“One Tree Hill.” Streaming platform: Hulu
The show is about a small town in North Carolina whose high school basketball team has drama dating back a whole generation.
The town Tree Hill is turned upside down when half brothers Nathan and Lucas Scott both make the varsity high school basketball team.

Lucas was raised solely by his mother Karen since his father was absent. While Nathan, whose mother is Deb and ended up marrying Dan, has everything he’s ever wished for.
Though both Nathan and Lucas despise each other, they have to learn how to put their difference aside in order for their team to succeed. The parents are also forced to come together again and face the drama that they left behind in high school.
One Tree Hill focuses on the lives of Lucas, Nathan, Haley, Brooke, and Peyton as they try to navigate through high school into the adult world.
The show also incorporates various themes like murder plots, stalkers, school shootings, fake marriages, love, hatred, jealousy, vengeance and forgiveness.

“Shameless,” U.S. version. Streaming platform: Netflix
On the south-side of Chicago lives the Gallagher family. With an absent mother and a drug-dependent, alcoholic father who usually ends up passed out on a park bench, the eldest daughter Fiona is forced to take care of her five younger brothers and sister.
The six siblings and their extended family of friends, lovers and neighboors lives are infected with sex, drugs, suicide, abuse, mental disorders and more. Despite their hardships, the Gallaghers always make something out of nothing with their determination and love for each other.
The show incorporates dark humor but also tackles the many struggles of what poor families with absent parents have to do in order to survive. The show has nine seasons with their 10th and final season coming this year.
However, if one does decide to start the “Shameless” series, be aware that it does show extreme nudity, an attempted suicide, drug abuse, graphic sex scences as well as foul and racial language.

“The Simple Life.” Streaming platform: Hulu
Before “Keeping up with the Kardashians,” Paris Hilton and Nicole Richie invented reality TV with their show “The Simple Life.”

It first aired on Fox on December 2, 2003. The show mainly focuses on Paris and Nicole giving up their phones, money and credit cards to work a real job in a small town in Arkansas with the most ridiculous tasks.
The jobs the two are forced to do include working at a Dairy Farm, Sonic and a local gas station.

While the girls worked on the dairy farm, they had to feed cows as well as wash and prepare them for milking.

At Sonic, Paris and Nicole took orders, made onion rings and brought the food out to people on roller skates. The show contains foul language and alcohol.

“Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt.” Streaming platform: Netflix
After being kidnapped and quarantined by a cult leader in an underground bunker for fifteen years, Kimmy Schmidt is freed after being found by the police and starts a new life in New York City.

Along the way she becomes a nanny for one of New York’s socialites. The show stars Ellie Kemper, Carol Kane and Titus.
The show aired on Netflix on March 6, 2015 to January 25, 2019. One of the show’s writers, Tina Fey, makes several cameos.

“Criminal Minds.” Streaming platform: Netflix or CBS
Criminal Minds is based on an A-list team of FBI profilers who analyze the country’s most-twisted criminal minds.

By using behavioral analysis and profiling, this group of agents are able to predict and find the perpetrator before their actions become uncontrollable.

The show not only presents a different case each episode, it tells the story of how the team works together on various cases while dealing with their own personal struggles.

The show is an American police procedural drama that differs from most because it focuses solely on the victims and criminals rather than the crime performed.

Criminal Minds has a total of 15 seasons with an average of 22 episodes per season. The show includes dead bodies and a great deal of blood and violence. Criminal Minds is a great show to watch if one enjoys thrilling crime dramas.