SJECCD is accepting nominees for annual diversity and equity awards

The district will recognize employees who have worked on behalf of underrepresented groups

Contributed photo.

The rainbow flag is a flag used as a symbol of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer pride and LGBTQ social movements.

San Jose Evergreen Community College District is accepting nominations for the annual Diversity and Equity Awards.
The award recognizes individuals who have shown honorable work in their field by advocating for underrepresented groups.
“We are looking at individuals as a whole so it’s not only the work they are doing in their primary role or job, but how will they take the issue of advocating for underrepresented groups and equity and how they are doing that beyond their nine to five jobs,” said Vice Chancellor Beatriz Chaidez. “A leader is somebody who feels compelled to see a change in society so you can be a leader in many different ways.”
With the initiative by Chancellor Clift Breland, they are bringing this opportunity to give awards to faculty, classified professionals and administrators who are leaders in the community.
Nominations are open until March 15, and the form can be completed online at tinyurl.com/SJECCDDiversityAwards.
The winners will receive $500 each in an awards ceremony on April 30 in Room T-415 at 1:30 p.m. – 3:30 p.m.. This award program has been going for two years now.

The categories are:

Bridge to Diversity and Equity Award
Commencing and leading actions to eliminate the equity gap that has impacted individuals and communities.

Community Engagement Award
Focused on community, agency or partner businesses that have provided support and resources to the campus that focuses on the college’s mission, vision and values relating to diversity, inclusion and equity.

LGBTQ+ Inclusion Award
Commencing and leading actions to remove barriers and for enhancing campus experience and engagement levels of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer/questioning people.

Disability Inclusion Award
For those who have taken leading actions to remove barriers and improve the campus experience for people with disabilities and for providing excellent services for disabled employees and students.

If you wish to nominate yourself or someone else, please apply online at: tinyurl.com/SJECCDDiversityAwards.