Why we should read our horoscopes

Nhu Dang, Times Staff

What’s your sign? Read what the stars have in store for the future.

Astrology has become a hot topic of controversy for our generation. There are some who swear by it and people who refuse to believe in it.

According to The American Federation of Astrologers website (astrologers.com), early astrology was cultivated by philosophers such as Plato and Aristotle. It was used by the Greeks and Romans to predict weather for agriculture.

Our horoscope, according to the AFA, is a map of the zodiacal circle. Horoscopes are determined on a chart that tells the positions of the sun, moon, planets and stars at the time, date and location of our birth. The most popular sign is the sun sign.

The sun sign is determined by the day we are born. There are three main signs that most modern astrologists refer to. These are the sun, moon and rising signs that determine personalities and behaviors.

We are able to look up our horoscope charts through free online services, but the AFA suggests that if you want the most accurate interpretation of your birth chart, a real expert in astrology is needed.

“Sometimes I feel like I do need answers to why I am the way I am and why someone else is the way they are,” said Inga Allen, 18, business major. “Whether it’s real or not, I think at least it provides some type of answer that can get you through.”

The AFA website explains that the basis of astrology is the belief that the gravitational forces exerted from the sun, moon and planets affects us on Earth.

Whether it’s real or not, I think at least it provides some type of answer that can get you through.

— SJCC student Inga Allen

Depending on the positions of all planets when and where we were born, each one of us will have different strengths and weaknesses in our personalities.

Reading our horoscope has become a tool for self-reflection, and it is important to be introspective.

Astrology is not something to completely have faith in because it has not yet been proven to be connected to people’s personalities.

“Trying to make judgments about people through astrology is wrong because it isn’t a proven way to determine someone’s personality,” said Daniel Madrigal, 20, a psychology major. “I don’t believe it\; but if you use it for self-reflection and it actually makes you feel better, then it can be a good method of self-care.”

Having an empathetic mindset is significant in understanding the people around us to avoid hostility and judgment. Whether astrology is the best tool for that, who is to say?

In this midst of the growing toxicity on social media and threats to our generation’s mental health, looking to the stars may not be such a bad idea.