Semester starts in giving spirit

[media-credit id=30 align=”alignnone” width=”400″]Semester starts in giving spirit[/media-credit]
A Stanford Blood Center doctor prepares SJCC student Rachel Hansen, 20, by checking her blood pressure.
One hundred thirteen San Jose City College students, faculty and staff contributed their blood to the Stanford Blood Drives held at SJCC impacting 243 patients in local hospitals on Aug. 30 and Sept. 2.

The Stanford Blood Donation Mobile welcomed 68 donors through the door on the Aug. 30 drive. Stanford Representative Monica Doleshel said in an email that “out of the 68 in the door, we welcomed 29 first time donors … very impressive!”

One of the first-time donors noted her initial apprehension to donate but the free movie ticket made the experience worthwhile. Blood donors received free movie tickets to AMC Theaters for their contribution and generous donation.

The Sept. 20 drive saw 45 donors, including one double red cell donation.

“This was not my first time,” said Rachel Hansen, a 20-year-old SJCC student, stating that she had donated “two times before” bringing her total lifetime blood contribution to three quarts, one donation shy of a gallon.

Overall, local hospitals were provided enough blood to impact the lives of 243 individual patients donated by the SJCC community.

Heidi Hoffman, SJCC Accounting Technician, who worked closely with Doleshel to make the blood drives possible, commended all who donated, saying “from my heart, it means a lot … for the many people who need our blood desperately.”

Hoffman is working to schedule Stanford Blood Center’s return for SJCC’s Spring Semester.

$662
$1000