Student is disassociated

Unanswered questions remain after abrupt resignation

The Associated Student Government director of activities resigned under pressure from her peers Oct. 23.

Carine Ndifon, communications, political science, social science and art major, was given three weeks to resign by her fellow ASG officers. Ndifon said before the three weeks were up the ASG officers held a vote to remove her. In response, Ndifon decided to resign.

“I was done at that point; I said to myself this is not the right group of people for me to work with,” Ndifon said. “They did not even let three weeks elapse.”

Charles Stevens, 39, communications major and director of legislative affairs said Ndifon never missed a meeting and was always on time, but he felt she had too much on her plate and was falling short of her responsibilities.

“We told her there are things that you have to do,” Stevens said. “One thing is get out an activities calendar for the school year; that was never done.”

Ndifon said the activities calendar was supposed to be created by the activities committee from the previous year.

When Ndifon found out about the calendar, she said she started preparing one for this year and the upcoming year, but ASG President Alex Ward, 29, biochemistry major, started organizing activity committee meetings without her approval and the committee stopped including her in what was happening.

“I was proper in handling my job and I have never failed in my duty,” Ndifon said. “I was committed. I made all my office hours, I asked for help when need be, and I planned and carried out all events successfully and responsibly. I was there at every event from the planning to the cleaning.”

Ndifon said she went to Stevens, Ward and ASG Vice President Abibat Oshiobugie, 19, microbiology major, to find out what exactly she was doing wrong. When asked for specifics, she said they refused to talk about it and Ward told her not to worry.

“I understand you (the ASG) don’t want to hurt my feelings, but we have to be professional,” Ndifon said. “We need to discuss what we are doing right and wrong.”

Times staff member Andy Nguyen, 31, liberal arts major, replaced Ndifon as director of activities. Oshiobugie said others expressed interest in the position, but Nguyen seemed the most passionate and engaged.

“He showed so much interest in events he was trying to pull off on his own, he kept going to different places to get their help, like asking for volunteers, asking for sponsors, setting dates, making arrangements,” Oshiobugie said. “He is on top of it.”

$662
$1000