Program supports gender equality

Campus takes initial steps to provide services to LGBT

San Jose City College will roll out a Safe Zone program in late November to provide aid and support for all lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender students.

Joseph King, an SJCC librarian and head adviser of the program, said Safe Zone is meant to offer a secure place for any student feeling misplaced or harassed to come and feel welcome, in addition to providing a way for others to get involved with and help the LGBT community.

The Safe Zone program consists of three major parts: training faculty and staff in terms of personal and widespread problems, creating and ensuring a safe space for students to go if any problems or concerns arise around campus, and having a community and campus-wide presence in order to prevent or speak out against prejudice and bullying.

Leslyn McCallum, communications studies professor, said she is an “ally for the LGBT community.”

“The program is needed because LGBT is the one group that needs protection against harassment,” McCallum said. “I want to make (all) students feel safe in my office.”

Advisers for the program, consisting of SJCC faculty, staff and administrators, will be trained during multiple sessions.

Students will be included in November when the program is set to go into full swing.

Only seven percent of California community colleges have resources for LGBT students, according to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention.

Community colleges must “designate an employee at each of their respective campuses as a point of contact for the needs of (LGBT) faculty, staff, and students at the respective campus,” according to California Education Code Section 66271.2.

Even though colleges have this stipulation, the bare minimum in support for LGBT students within California community college system is contact information to a designated staff member who may or may not be professionally trained.

The Safe Zone program would completely cover this section of code.

“Any program that promotes inclusiveness and diversity, which is part of the community college ethos,” Ciaran McGowan, photography and digital art professor said, “is an important consideration.”

$662
$1000