Campus experiences a tragedy

The loss of former student, Magda Buitron Gonzalez, 49, continues to linger in the minds of many

This past summer, while on her way to sign up for the fall 2013 semester at San Jose City College, Magda Gonzalez was in a construction accident between the Fine Arts Building and the 300 wing of the Vocational Education Complex, which led to her death.

The Santa Clara County Coroner’s Office confirms the incident was the cause of a tractor vs. pedestrian collision. Details of the scene are being withheld since the SJCC Police Department is treating this as an active investigation.

On Thursday, Sept. 12, in a Campus Safety Committee meeting, Lieutenant Gilberto Torres addressed his department’s involvement, “Unfortunately it’s an ongoing investigation … given the direction, I’m unable to comment on the investigation to effectively keep the integrity of it until we get all of the facts back,” Torres said.

The California Occupational Safety and Health Administration, a government agency that enforces safety laws and protects the public and workers from hazards, along with the campus police department, will conduct this investigation over the next few months.

As the school district awaits the results of the accident, SJCC has made some very quick changes to offer students additional safety precautions.

Shortly following this incident, interim President Byron Breland explained the immediate actions the campus had taken, such as increasing the level of security around current construction sites, fencing specific areas above and beyond minimum requirements, and raising general awareness.

“Our No. 1 priority is the health, safety and security of our faculty, staff and students,” Breland said. “We examined everything we possibly could to make sure that something like this never happens again.”

The Associated Student Body at SJCC played a role in showing the school’s determination to honor the passing of one of their own.

They have supported the idea of placing a plaque within school grounds to commemorate Gonzalez and her family.
Allan Perez, 20, communications major, ASG Director of Public Relations said, “It would be respectful for the school to acknowledge the death and honor it with a memorial.”

Breland and Chancellor Rita Cepeda, were scheduled to meet with the Gonzalez family Sept. 19 to discuss the final content of the plaque.

$662
$1000