San Jose City College students to elect new Student Body President

New student government leadership is just around the corner.

San Jose City College students will have an opportunity to elect their new student body president/student trustee (a paired position), Sept. 18 through Sept. 20.

Last semester’s election of student body officers was nullified due to a technicality in the election process.

Director of Legislative Affairs Chuck Stevens, communications major, 39, said,“In order to keep student government functioning, and, based upon the current San Jose City College constitution, last semester’s executive officers appointed student council members for the spring semester.”

Last semester’s AS president, Mike Casas, political science major, 41, appointed an interim AS president, Alex Ward, biochemistry major, 28, to keep student government functioning through the summer months.

Two candidates are running for the Associated Student Body President position, Alex Ward, and Bihama Vedaste, biochemistry major, 23.

Director of Student Life Elizabeth Eckford said, “I’m excited about the elections.”

Ward said, “I bring experience to the job because I have been acting interim president since July 1. I will also see that student voices will be heard and we will have fun.”

“I will bring social justice, responsibility and accountability to the office of president of the Associated Student Government,” Vedaste said. “I also want to increase communication and cooperation between the student body and administration; I will work full force to make these (goals) a reality.”

The presidential candidate forum was held on Monday.

All students have received an email ballot and will be given the opportunity to cast their vote.

$662
$1000