Phi Theta Kappa honors SJCC students

PhiThetaKappa
Michael Casas, president of Associated Student Government, is inducted into Phi Thetta Kappa Honor Society during its spring 2013 ceremony.

[media-credit name=”Andy Nguyen/ Times staff” align=”alignleft” width=”300″][/media-credit]

Phi Theta Kappa Honor Society – Beta Epsilon Nu Chapter was filled to the brim due to their Induction Ceremony

“San Jose City College is proud of your commitment with your education, diligence, hard work, the struggles you have overcome to achieve your academic success, and your willingness to give back to the community,” Burns said. “Remember SJCC and don’t forget to come back and volunteer here to support current and future students, you are peer role models.”

PTK offers a history of scholarships, leadership, and service to the college and the community.

“I think students want the recognition of PTK for their accomplishments for all of their hard work, they appreciate people recognizing them for their accomplishments they have done with their academics, also for scholarships to continue learning higher education,” Eckford said.

Raymond woods, Jr. 52, long life learning said, “It’s an honors program that requires you to have a grade point average of at least 3.4-3.5 over two semesters prior, once you are in PTK you are considered an elite student and you are in it for life, you can be moved up in the career world, great for resumes, scholarships, higher rankings for higher educations.”

PTK career resources consist of the following: access to PTK Career Resource Center, opportunity for upgrade for federal employees, and letters of recommendation sent to potential employers, a professional development plan to enhance your leadership, communication, critical thinking and team building skills.

“It helps students, keeps them motivated, proud of themselves, exiting, higher achievement, and an honor,” Woods said.

A confirmation letter is sent out from the schools administration to students with a qualifying gpa; you pay $60 in the Business Building for your membership, and then fill out a PTK application in DSP or at the front desk in the Associated Students Office in the Student Center.

“I joined PTK on February 25, 2010 when I was president of Associated Students president,” said Woods.

Eckford is the new advisor for PTK, she joined in January. She said, that the PTK Honor Society is for California community colleges, it is internationally society and known internationally, receives access to major scholarships, places students in higher positions for access to major four-year colleges, it recognizes volunteerism, connected with communities, and is able to develop leadership skills.

This semester PTK made history with over 103 students from SJCC became PBK Honor Society inductees.

“People don’t know about the program and the differences between the honors programs on campus and PTK; they are both different programs; people think they are the same program,” said Eckford.

When student resources offered on campus have similar naming and meaning, students tend to confuse their resources.

“One of the things that people don’t know about PTK is that when students receive their confirmation letter for PTK, students don’t know what their confirmation letter is about and that PTK is back on campus, it has been gone from SJCC  for the last four semesters, I can’t say why because I’m going for administration,” Woods said.

Being a PTK student comes with its own graduation regalia gear,   a golden key membership pin, embossed membership certificate, and identification card, the opportunity to wear the PTK honors regalia, and a press release announcing membership. You can find more information on PTK athttp://ptk.org for more details.

“I go around to different classrooms and talk to students about their grades and PTK and I let them know how they can qualify for PTK, in the fall we will be having a pizza party for the new/incoming inductees and the whole school, to meet and spread the word of PBK and become a better support group,” said Woods.

KJCC, Aft 6157, CSEA 363, Romero Jalomo, vice president of student affairs, from Hartnell College, Salinas, Array of Flowers in San Jose, and David Winters, performer/musician, member of AFM, Local 153 gave the PTK a formal and elegant ceremony .

“Don’t give up on achieving your educational dreams thank you for allowing SJCC to participate in your educational experience and assisting in preparing you for your future,“ Burns said.

$662
$1000