Accreditation status celebrated

Laughter, dancing, food and ice cream were enjoyed by those in attendance on the lawn in front of the Carmen Castellano Fine Arts Center on March 19.

SJCC received the official news regarding the Accrediting Commission of Community and Junior Colleges awarding of reaffirmation of accreditation with the Western Association of Schools and Colleges on Feb. 15.

“We are celebrating for being fully reaffirmed,” said Greg Nelson, vice president administrative services. “It is a big relief. Turning it around in two years is unheard of in the State of California. Evergreen was also reaffirmed, you can’t find that happening in any district!”

In a random poll of students taken after the event, only two of 20 students knew of the event and attended. Laurie Chavez, 21,undecided major, and Sergio Marquez, 19, communications major said events such as these should be voted on by the student population when there are educational budget cuts.

“We kept the cost to a bare minimum, with staff doing all the work, so it’s not costing a lot of money.” Nelson said. “It’s worth it.”
Barbara Kavalier, president of SJCC, said this was the most attended activity by administration, staff and students so far this year. Attendance exceeded expectations since they ran out of food.

“I love the celebration. It’s so much fun being here with my fellow students partying, enjoying the food, ice cream and just celebrating the fact that we are no longer on probation.” said Adam Belardes, 27, communications major. “SJCC is a diverse, amazing school. Go Jags.”

“The faculty, staff administrators and students have all worked hard to accomplish our reaffirmation.” Kavalier said. “Now we can concentrate on initiatives that will move our college forward.

ROSA HARRISON / TIMES STAFF
ANDY NGUYEN / TIMES STAFF
ROSA HARRISON / TIMES STAFF
ROSA HARRISON / TIMES STAFF
ROSA HARRISON / TIMES STAFF

$662
$1000