Veterans with benefits

MICHAEL BARAJAS | TIMES STAFF

Anyone can join the San Jose City College Veterans Association and support veterans and future veterans.

“Veterans need to be recognized. There is a growing population of military-related individuals attending SJCC,” said Chris Gibson, 26, mechanical engineering major and veterans association club treasurer.

The association provides student services and structure for incoming and present students and veterans.

“We provide structure based on knowledgeable officers and current SJCC staff, such as benefits, claim issues, weekly meetings, educational planning and financial concerns for students and veterans,” Gibson said.

This association has been recognized by Associated Students Government since March.

“I want to help create a foundation for all veterans, their families and anyone who is interested in any branch of the military,” Gibson said.

The association members meet every Thursday in the Student Center in room SC-204 from 2 p.m. to 3 p.m. and at the veterans’ table in the hallways in the Student Center on Mondays at noon.

“The association is important because has been absent from SJCC for far too long,” said Mic Taylor, 48, computer science major, veterans association secretary.

“I want to see the veterans taken care of.”

Their board consists of a member-elected association that helps network and encourages all veterans and students to enhance veteran awareness.

“Through our weekly meetings, fliers and guest speakers from all branches of the military services we can help our fellow students become part of a knowledgeable foundation,” Gibson said.

The association provides non-binding advice, recommendations, guidance and advice, that may pertain to strategic direction, technology, standards, infrastructure, administration, legislative policy to veterans and students.

“It’s good to have an association to let the veterans’ voices be heard,” said Jourdan Aguirre, 22, nursing major, “because community colleges have a mixed population variety.”

$662
$1000