Students prepare for voyage

Rich

Two San Jose City College students plan to embark on a journey of more than 2,500 miles down the Mississippi River this summer.

Michael Rich, 27, English/American sign language major, and Marky Drach, 21, education major, plan to kayak from Lake Itasca in Minnesota to where the Mississippi River empties into the Gulf of Mexico in southern Louisiana. They plan to embark on their adventure June 7, and they estimate that it will take two and a half months to complete.

“We wanted to participate in some kind of once in a lifetime adventure,” Rich said, “The thrill of (an) adventure and the unknown is definitely a driving force.”

Rich and Drach came up with the idea by reading an article about a man who walked across America, Drach said. They considered biking coast to coast, but discarded the idea after researching different types of long-distance trips.

“We really wanted to do something exciting while we were still in school,” Drach said, “so that we didn’t have to put a career on hold or get too busy to go.”

They learned of various people who accomplished similar treks and how it went for them.

“There is no greater satisfaction than to instill a sense of wonder and adventure in my students. I am jealous as hell that I can’t go do it myself,” Professor of cultural and physical geography Ken Baurmeister, said, “when I was young I kayaked down the Rhine and Danube so I know what kind of fun is in store.”

Their preparations consist of creating a detailed gear list and a map of where their possible camp spots will be, Rich said. They are not nervous to depend on nature as they have researched the resources that will help them finish this project.

“I think it’s ambitious. I just hope they don’t run out of food, or they will end up eating each other,” said a friend of the duo, Veronica Gadson, 21, English major.

Throughout the trip, their progress will be documented by video and blogging so that by the end of the journey an adventure-style documentary will be produced.

“We’re creating a Kickstarter page for the purposes of fundraising,” Rich said, “there will be information on (kickstarter.com) how to follow our progress and an opportunity to be behind the driving force that makes it a reality.”

Their goals are to explore the various cultures and people they encounter along the way, as well as to enjoy an escape from civilization and the accomplishment of something new.

“What we hope to gain from this is life experience, personal growth,” Rich said, “and the opportunity to share the adventure with others.”

$662
$1000