Transfer Center usage on the rise

[media-credit name=”Steve Hil” align=”alignnone” width=”400″]Transfer Center usage on the rise[/media-credit]
Doriann Trann (center), Transfer Center director and Carol Vasquez (right), academic advising specialist, assist a student with transfer options in 2009.
Over the past few years, the Career/Transfer Center has seen an increase in the number of students using the center, said Dorian Trann, counselor and career transfer center director. In the 2009 school year there was a 31 percent increase in attendance and has risen every year since then, but the center staff would still like to see more students.

“We definitely want to increase our transfer rate,” said Trann, “a good number of our students may not be aware of all the different options that they have out there.”

Located on the 2nd floor of the Student Center across from the Counseling Department, the center is one of the many student services on campus. Its main function is to provide information about transferring to other campuses, and helping students in planning their college and career futures.

“(We want to) help students understand they have possibilities.” Carol Vasquez, academic advisor of the transfer center.

The center offers services such as help with school applications, bus tours of schools, resume writing workshops, and many others, said Trann.

“I thought it would be harder (to transfer), but it’s a lot easier.” 18 year old Kyle Santomaaro said after attending one of the transfer center’s workshops.

The center helps students transfer to California State Universities, Universities of California, and private schools. “With our services,” Trann said “we want to help them transfer to whatever school they want to.”

$662
$1000