Vietnamese club welcomes all students

[media-credit id=13 align=”alignnone” width=”400″]Vietnamese club welcomes all students[/media-credit]
Vietnamese Student Association Club members attend the first meeting of the semester in the cafeteria on Sept. 22.
The Vietnamese Student Association has helped the Vietnamese students with financial aid, classes and other student services such as the health office at San Jose City College. With the new semester upon us, the VSA met on Sept. 22 to discuss the past year’s efforts, chartering, and the club’s future on campus.

The VSA had a large impact on the campus last year with fundraisers for Japanese tsunami victims and is planning on fundraisers in connection with the Red Cross of America for more disaster support, said Andy Nguyen, president of the VSA. He plans on working with established charities such as Toys for Tots and local food banks for this semester.

“Our club worked with EOP&S (Extended Opportunity Program & Services) and the Financial Aid Office as well as with student services to help provide (services) for students on campus,” said Patricia Nguyen, VSA adviser and English as a second language instructor.

On changes made to club formation as well as requirements for advisers, Patricia Nguyen mentioned no real change in how the club has been running, and that last semester she had a co-adviser to help her with the club’s activities. Andy Nguyen said that other than the late start for the clubs, there was no change in their usual activities.

Ali Siebenthal, a 21-year-old art major was supportive of the VSA’s activities but had one idea for a fundraiser.

“They need to do a Pho Fundraiser,” she said.

So far 35 students have signed up for the club, and Andy Nguyen is hoping for more.

“Everybody is welcome to join,” said Andy Nguyen, to which Patricia Nguyen added, “As long as you are a student at SJCC and have paid your $5 activity fee.”

Vietnamese Student
Association meets
first Friday of each
month in GE 121.

$662
$1000