Texting to stay safe at SJCC

San Jose City College sent out many emergency text alerts over the past year and has been put on campus lockdown more than once within the past two years, but what are students supposed to do when these real-life emergencies take place?

“I suggest students ask their instructors for Emergency Directions during the first week of introductions,” said Frank Mendez, instructor, Disabled Students Program and Services. “This entails instructions on where we should go and how we should conduct ourselves to guarantee our safety.”

Judith Bell, arts and multimedia instructor, said campus lockdowns and emergency text alerts affect everybody, and they make people feel vulnerable.

“The emergency alert text messages are not enough. We need posters and signs that grab our attention,” Bell said. “The severity of the threat should be color-coded. By color coding the severity of threats, it makes it easier for people to know how bad the threat is.”

Mendez said that alert and and lockdowns are important to guarantee the safety of students, but receiving the alerts is an issue sometimes.

“The only problem I have experienced with the campus lockdowns is not getting SJECCD Police Safety Alerts. This has happened to me twice,” Mendez said.

“Most of the emergency text alerts are to inform people of major events, such as shooters, sexual assaults, those under the influence, theft and property/personal crimes,” said Gilberto Torres, San Jose / Evergreen Community College District Police Department Lieutenant.

Torres recommends staying alert because you never know when a crisis will occur.

“Be aware of your surroundings,” Torres said.

For more information on how to be better prepared in case of emergency please contact Daniel J. Haley, English instructor, by Phone: 408 298-2181, ext. 2503 or email: [email protected], you may also contact District Police, Chief Ray Aguirre, by email: [email protected].

$662
$1000