New club revives spirituality

For years, there has been little to no way for students to discuss their faith here at San Jose City College, but a new club is looking to change that.

The SJCC Interfaith Dialogue Club has just started and is looking for new members of any faith to join.

“We have no campus ministry here; I think today an interfaith group can fulfill that role that traditionally was just Christian or Muslim,” said Gerald Gruzen, 71, philosophy faculty and club adviser. “Now we’re interacting much more across these lines to get a more globalized world, so I think this could be an important service to the campus community.”

The club’s goal is to have students discuss their faith with other students in a safe environment, free from persecution from their peers.

The only prerequisite for joining the club are an open mind and an acceptance of your fellow human beings.

“It’s not about religion. It’s about us; it’s about the people,” said Omar A Fojas-Flores, 24, psychology major.

The first club meeting went off without a hitch, with the inaugural members quickly discussing their varied faiths in an open and kind matter.

“I’ve been in situations like this where it could be explosive, but it seems like it’s a good dynamic so far,” said Melissa Cook, 32, psychology major.

Gruzen said he hopes other people will take part in the club and become interested in what the club is doing.

The club meets in Room SC 104 from noon to 1 p.m. every other Wednesday, starting on Feb. 29.

$662
$1000