A man of many skills

[media-credit name=”admin” align=”alignnone” width=”400″]A man of many skills[/media-credit]
Nicholas Akinkuoye
The opportunity to become the vice president of Academic Affairs is what brought Nicholas Akinkuoye to San Jose City College.

“I have enjoyed the time that I attended meetings in San Francisco and California as a whole for the past six years,”

Akinkuoye said. “I have always wanted to work in a state where there isnʼt any snow. I was very happy when the opportunity came.”

Akinkuoye received a bachelor’s of science in industrial engineer technology, with a minor in math at Elizabeth City State University, N.C.

He received his master of science in Industrial Education at Texas Southern University in Houston, Texas.

Akinkuoye received his doctorate in vocational and technical education with concentration in manufacturing engineering technology, from Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University.

Akinkuoye has worked as a professor at Northern Illinois University, and Iowa State University.

“I have vast experience from many community colleges and universities,” Akinkuoye said. “Moving from one step to another started at the bottom and worked my way up. I have a broad view on experience on how a college works and how a college should be successful and serve its students well.”

The next opportunity for Akinkuoye was the lead assistant dean of business, technology and engineering at Cuyahoga Community College in Cleveland, Ohio.

After six years Akinkuoye became the dean of Academic Affairs at the Community College of Allegheny County in Pittsburg.

After eight years in Pittsburg he served as at VP of academic affairs at Triton College in Chicago, Ill. and Kanawha Valley Community and Technical College in West Virginia.

Akinkuoyeʼs short-term goal, he said, is to get his feet wet and get used to the California system. He intends on learning more about the students and community. Akinkuoye has taken long-term interests in bringing new programs to San Jose City College.

Akinkuoye has intentions in bringing the nanotechnology program to San Jose City College.

“Nanotechnology is suited for Silicon Valley, it is used in the pharmaceutical, medical and textile industry,” Akinkuoye said.

While working as the dean of Academic Affairs in Pittsburg, Akinkuoye said he created the nanotechnology program for the Community College of Allegheny County.

“Iʼm where I want to be as an educator,” Akinkuoye said. “The American dream is still alive, advising and talking to students is the thrill and joy of my life.”

$662
$1000