Program delegates support

San Jose City College has a handful of programs available for disabled students that help make the learning process a little easier. There is one program that does an amazing job at doing so.

The Disability Support Program assists disabled students by providing support systems and accommodations to students in the program.

These accommodations include granting extra time on exams, receiving exams that come in special formats, such as large text, online and audio tests, distraction-free zones, counselors helping students pick classes, having advocates step in class to help students who struggle with lessons being taught and extra tutoring services. This is just a small bit of what they do to help students who are in the program.

DSP student Melinda Hunt said, “It’s great: it just needs more counselors.” She also stated that her favorite part about the program is having “extra time on exams.”

“ If a student has a disability and they need services or to have accessibility on this campus, I believe these services are outstanding.”

We come up with strategies that will allow students to become successful.” said DSP Coordinator/ Counselor Caren Pullen.

Ever since I signed up with DSP, the staff has been helpful in making sure that I get the services I need for my classes. As a visually impaired student, I require more time on tests, large print texts, and help from counselors to choose classes.

There are a few things that are required to sign up. First you need medical proof of physical, mental or emotional disability from your doctor. Next, you have to fill out a couple of forms. One form is for the type of services you would like and the other form is basic information to fill out along with disability verification.

The office is located in room SC-106 across from the student lounge area. The office hours are Monday through Thursday 9 a.m. through 6 p.m. and Friday 8 a.m.through 3:30 p.m. For more information call 408 388-3746 and for TTY: 408 2943447.

$662
$1000