Media Club gets down for funds

Photo by Larry Harris/TIMES STAFF                     SJCC student Daniel Habteyes gets down on the microphone on Nov. 28 at the Student Center

Like the postal worker, “Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds.”

Nor did rain prevent the Media Club of San Jose City College from holding its first fundraiser, “Welcome Back from TG Day.”

After many weeks of planning, the Media Club fundraiser began to unwind early Wednesday, Nov. 28.

As storm clouds began to gather, Rockin’ Robin, the president of the Media Club, received am email from Campus Technical Support & Services Department stating it was unable to set up a PA system outside when the weather was so unstable.

“Not only is it bad for the equipment, it is also a safety issue,” the department wrote in email.

Several media club members, concerned about the weather, contacted Robin asking whether the show would to go on.

“Welcome to live radio, folks,” said Robin  “In spite of the weather and like the postman, we must perform in all kinds of weather. The show must go on.”

Robin had anticipated the possibility of inclement weather and had permission from ASB president Mike Casas to use its two huge awnings for shelter.

Robin received a phone call from the office of the Vice President of Student Services.

They stated they had just received an email from CTSS rightfully concerned about setting up PA equipment outside in the damp weather.

The administration assistant mentioned she would email the Vice President of Student Services to get her recommendation.

After a brief delay, a second phone call was received by Robin from the office of the V. P. of Student Services giving permission to move the PA equipment inside the Student Center and to continue with the open mic performance portion of the event.

The show went on in spite of the obstacles.

As the fundraising event progressed, booths were set up, PA equipment was put in place, the barbeque was fired up for burned hot dogs and Robin opened his show with the 1958 hit “Rockin’ Robin,” recorded by Bobby Day, followed by “Please Mr. Postman.”

Music played, performers performed and an administrator was seen doing the mashed potatoes to Dee Dee Sharp’s 1962 million-record seller, “It’s Mashed Potato Time.” dance.
After this successful event, the Media Club broadcasters want to continue the open mic format in the future.

In addition to student performers, the club wishes to extend an outreach to faculty and staff to strut their stuff at the next open mic event.

If you play a musical instrument, dance, perform stand-up comedy, sing, participate in the spoken word, you are welcome to the media club’s next event.

$662
$1000