Event raises money for SJCC sports programs

By Linh Nguyen and Mark Sheppard

Hosted on the grass of the  new Multi-Disciplinary and Art Building at San Jose City College, the country-themed fundraising event “Black Ties & Boots” took place on a chilly Oct. 13 evening.

The event featured the Grammy-nominated band Diamond Rio, who has sold more than 10 million albums, earning three platinum and five gold records.

“I was really impressed with the setting, the atmosphere and the environment, and the band was super fantastic,” said Frank Fales, a local resident.”

The turnout for the fundraiser   was full, said Greg Nelson, vice president of Administrative Services and dean of athletics, who coordinated the event.

The event was complete with valet parking, a full band, security, complimentary wine, catering and elaborate decorations.

Most people who appeared in the event were local residents, faculty and staff at the campus. A few students from the women’s softball team volunteered at the event.

There were representatives from BLACH construction and AEDIS Architecture and Planning, the two companies that designed and built the new building.

“BLACH construction was the big sponsor (of the event), and we (AEDIS) helped too,” said Joe Vela, associate principal of AEDIS Architecture and Planning.

Nelson wrote in an email that the event has started a new tradition at SJCC, and he hoped to have similar events every year and begin to grow the number of participants.

“Local sponsors also made this event successful and helped reach the broad-based community support that we received Saturday night,” Nelson wrote in an email.

Most tickets were sold to corporate partners with some tickets available to the public.

In a press release on June 4, SJCC President Barbara Kavalier said, “The college has come to the point that we must rely on the support of fundraising activities like Black Tie & Boots to support the programs within the colleges.”

This was the first Black Tie & Boots event held at SJCC.

SJCC intended to have its first fundraising event on Sept. 7 with singer Rodney Atkins. The event was canceled unannounced. The Admin Focus Newsletter in August said the Black Tie & Boots was slated to reschedule on Oct. 13.

Nelson did not give any answer regarding Atkins or the cost of hiring singer or bands. Neither did he explain specifically how he is going to spend the fundraising money.

“Around 400 (tickets) were sold out,” Nelson said. “We made money. I don’t know how much money right now, but we made money.”

The cost of a seat and plate was $80, and general admission cost $50. Raffle tickets were also sold, according to the website Eventbrite.

The fundraiser’s proceeds will be donated to SJCC sports programs.

“It was a great day to have (the event) done on campus and raise the money for the Athletic Department,” Nelson said.

Renza Nassab and Rose Marie Ferrari of the Cosmetology Department said the event was fascinating and better than they expected.

However, not everyone felt the event was a success.

“It’s half of what they (the event coordinators) expected,” said Raymond Woods, former Associated Student president and staff member at Disabilities Support Program & Services. “We have a wide range of students who need help, not just athletes.”

Nelson wrote that other large events to support programs on campus will be held in the future to raise funds needed for the operation of the college.

$662
$1000