College planning council meeting highlights on Sept. 7

Increased educational demand adds class sessions to San Jose City College.

The college has 10,250 students enrolled in 950 classes this semester. This class number is a four percent increase from last semester, said Interm Vice President of Academic Affairs Tammmeil Gilkerson at the College Planning Council meeting Sept. 7.

Campus Works representative Mike Russell briefed the CPC on the monumental work that lies ahead for his organization as it gathers survey information on the existing status of campus technology.

“Normally an initial survey may take as long as eight months, so we are really under the gun to meet the Accreditation Committee’s October report deadline,” Russell said.

The discussions digressed to the college’s update on Distance Learning Education. Computer Information Instructor Clem Lundie remarked that this program has not caught on at SJCC as it should have.

Russell shared his experience with Distance Education at his previous assignment at a large eastern college saying, “Distance Education is a major part of the curriculum.”

The meeting dismissed early with a parting comment by Academic Senate President, Charles Heimler.

“We have a new sailing club and everyone is invited to join,” Heimler said.

“Contact Isabel Macias, the president’s secretary.”

The CPC meets the first and third Friday of the month in SC 204 at 9 a.m. It consists of a mix of shared governance attendees from administration, faculty, and classified employees and students.

$662
$1000