The art of beauty on campus

The Esthetics Program offers multiple skin care services to San Jose City College students, faculty and friends.

The program does facials and makeup for people seeking employment offers, special treatments for deaf women and educates about the importance of skin care to students.

Esthetics instructor Yelena Lipilina is in charge of the Esthetics Program.

She has earned a CIDESCO (Comité International d’Esthétique et de Cosmétologie) diploma. It is recognized as the most advanced certification in the field of esthetics and beauty therapy in the world.

Lipilina has been teaching at SJCC since 2005 and has spent the past 25 years teaching at other schools.

“Teaching is my passion; it’s something I’ve always wanted to do,” Lipilina said. “I come prepared for class every day; I provide the best.”

Lipilina has worked at the Elizabeth Arden Salon, Visage Medical Day Spa, Mr. Lee Salon and Spa and the Lancôme Beauty Institute.

“She is very well-known in the industry; she has worked for Elizabeth Arden,” said Holly Zoffoli, 39, esthetics student.

The senior class of the program runs the esthetics club.

“Everyone works together to raise money for graduation. The senior class leaves a contribution to the program behind when they leave,” said Leti Horta, 36, esthetics student.

“The club contributes to the community; it has hosted fundraisers for abused women,” Lipilina said. “Our club is successful because we have continuity of people who run the club.”

The skin care clinic offers a professional experience in facials, waxing, eyebrow arching, paraffin hand treatments and daytime or evening makeup application.

Students can earn a Certificate of Achievement in Esthetics in a two-semester program with 21 hours of class a week.

“It’s a strict program; students can’t miss more than three days,” Lipilina said. “Our high graduation rate speaks loudly about our success.”

Students are eligible to take the State Board Esthetics examination after completion of the program.

The State Board of Cosmetology requires each student have 600 hours of instruction.

“Within two weeks, we were hands-on in the program. It is a great class,” esthetics student Juli Silva, 54, said.

Lipilina said the program offers a summer course that provides students with job training and tips for job interviews; it is perfect practice for the state board exam and for practical skills.

The program provides less expensive, quality treatments in a full-scale salon, Lipilina said.

“We have a supportive administration; they give great equipment for the students and provide a wonderful service,” Lipilina said. “We’ve been hit with cuts but grateful that the program is still running.”

After completion of the program, students will be prepared for entry-level positions as an esthetician, makeup artist, spa technician or salon owner.

$662
$1000