SJCC student campaigns to help those in need

Second Harvest Food Bank program helps feed families in need in Silicon Valley

Courtesy of Second Harvest Food Bank

Second Harvest Food Bank supplies groceries to people in need.

Jayatri Bhattacharya, Times Staff

I hope each one of you is staying safe. I know it has been a rough week while we have been sheltering in place. It is difficult to live in uncertainty. We are afraid for ourselves, our children and our relatives and friends. 

It is hard not to be stuck in a constant loop of worry if we do not do something to keep ourselves busy. I would love to hear from every one of you regarding your own quarantine time. 

In my opinion, this is the best time to build a community.

I have been looking into helping those in need receive support during these trying times. We all deserve an equal chance to fulfill our physiological needs. This is a fundamental right that many do not have. 

It is hard to imagine the pain of not being able to feed our families or going to school on an empty stomach. But the reality is more than one in four people are at risk of hunger in Silicon Valley.

Because of the recent COVID-19 lockdown, low-income families, seniors and immunocompromised individuals are especially unprepared to lose their jobs and livelihood in the face of struggles they already endure in their day-to-day lives. 

One in 10 people in Silicon Valley receives assistance from Second Harvest of Silicon Valley, and the food bank’s efforts are needed now more than ever.

With your support, we can ensure anyone who needs a healthy meal can get one. Donate by clicking the link below to give hope to those in need. You can also create your own team as part of our virtual food drive to share with your family and friends. 

Remember, every dollar donated helps provide two nutritious meals for families struggling to put food on the table. Our neighbors are counting on us. We can do this.

For those who have already donated, my humblest thanks. Your generosity is helping make the future a little brighter for many families, children and seniors. Your gift is building a community and unifying people all over Silicon Valley in a common goal to defeat hunger in the face of a global pandemic. I am looking forward to hearing from everyone.

To my amazing network, thanks.

Jayatri (Joy) Bhattacharya

Click here to visit my personal page.