Top awards earned

[media-credit name=” Bruno manrique / Contributor ” align=”alignnone” width=”400″]Top awards earned[/media-credit]
San Jose City College journalism students win six awards at Journalism Association of Community Colleges (JACC) on April 7-10 in Sacramento. From left to right: Stephanie Smith, Olivia Payne, Emily Land and Allen Degu.
City College Times came away with six awards at the 56th Journalism Association of Community Colleges State Conference. The Times staffers took home the highest honor given to newspapers, the General Excellence award, first place in Essay Writing and Broadcast News Writing, third place in News Tweeting and received honorable mention for News Photo and Front Page Layout.

Allen Degu, Emily Land, Olivia Payne and Stephanie Smith from the Times Staff participated along side approximately 50 other California community colleges in three days worth of workshops and on-the-spot contests in Sacramento on April 7.

Times Staffers had the opportunity to meet with the Joyce Terhaar, Managing Editor at the Sacramento Bee, and took tours at Sacramento’s Fox 40 news station.

One of the staffers of the City College Times saw the field of journalism as a new career path.

“I realized that I had found my calling and my life will forever revolve around broadcast news writing,” Emily Land said, winner of Twitter and News Broadcasting awards.

With all the negativity surrounding SJCC, winning such awards brings acknowledgment to the Journalism program and to SJCC. With the challenges faced of probation, layoffs and budget issues of the school wining the awards provides positive outlook at SJCC.

“This is not the first time that you’ve been honored with attest to the level of consistent excellence in journalism,” Chancellor Rita Cepeda said in an email to the Times Staff.

“I also know that the student newspaper had a lot to do with the fact that SJCC received commendations from the accreditation visiting team because of the vibrant student voice on campus.”

$662
$1000