Career well spent

[media-credit name=”Scales” align=”alignnone” width=”253″]Scales[/media-credit]With 14 faculty and staff retiring from San Jose City College and Evergreen Valley College this semester, retiring interim dean of Language Arts, Virginia Scales said she will celebrate the end of this semester.

“I started teaching in 1974. I had a high school credential to teach but couldn’t find work, so I continued on and received a master’s from San Jose State University,” Scales said. “I had an offer through a friend to work in the reading program at SJCC. I didn’t know what was involved, but I began as an instructional aide at $5 an hour.”

Scales said she faced a lot of difficulties in starting a career because “in those days there was not a lot of employment opportunity for women, just nursing and teaching.”

Scales, a former San Jose City College student, said it took her six years at SJCC to graduate.

“I began my education a little later … I took one class at a time and did not have a goal, I just wanted to take classes. At San Jose State University, I got more competitive and graduated in two years.”

Scales said she constantly changes her ways of teaching.

“I continually try something new and see if this thing works. We ask how do students learn,” Scales said. “We keep trying things, and sometimes they work. I plan to continue teaching ESL part time.”

With her new-found time after retiring, Scales said she thinks about what she will do with her life often.

“Gardening. That will work for a while. Cleaning the house. That will work for a while,” Scales said. “I don’t know long term what I am going to do other than teach part time. I have two children and two grandchildren. One grandchild is getting married this month.”

Pat Gerster, dean of Humanities and Social Science, said Scales caring personality is what can set her apart.

“She is terrific to work with,” Gerster said. “Since the early days there have been a lot of changes, instability in Language Arts, and Virginia parachuted into the middle of things. Her literacy about the programs, personalities and policies is invaluable.”

Gerster said Scales is a charm to work with and does not know if any person can say a bad thing about Scales.

Chris Frazier, president of the Academic Senate said Scales has so much institutional memory, much institutional knowledge, and a tremendous depth of knowledge of where we have come from and how much better we are today compared to how we used to be.

“She has tremendous perspective on where people come from and what it means to be a woman professor,” Frazier said. “Her perspective is very rich and deep; it is something we should keep and hold to ourselves.”
Frazier said she is a wonderful mentor and “is a tremendous individual. I honor her.”

In one word, Tony LaRosa, president of the Media Club said Scales is “amazing.”

LaRosa said she wears her heart on her sleeve.

“Virginia sees the importance of not only verbal communication but written communication, the ability for people to pick something up and be informed,” La Rosa said. “I am sad to see her retire, but I am glad to know she is going to teach part time. I think she is really great she spreads herself all over campus, and it is amazing what she gets done.”

$662
$1000