SJECC District chancellor to retire

President Byron Breland named interim chancellor for 2018-2019

Dr. Breland (left) speaks to Times reporter Reginald Webb at the San Jose City Recognition Ceremony, April 26.

Joeanna Lopez

Joeanna Lopez

Reginald Webb, Times Staff

Deborah Budd is retiring as Chancellor of San Jose-Evergreen Community College District. The Chancellor since 2015, will retire this summer.

“It has been a joy to see our incredible progress during my time at SJECCD and I am retiring this summer with a profound sense of gratitude for having been a part of the district during such an incredible period,” according to an SJECCD press release on the Chancellor’s retirement.

During her tenure the district asked voters to pass the 748 million dollar bond, Measure X, expanded with an extension campus in Milpitas for dual enrollment with district high schools and debuted San Jose Promise, to name a few highlights.

According to the 2017 Annual Report, the SJCC-EVC District achieved a 33 percent increase in the number of Associate Degrees, reaffirmed accreditation, for both colleges from the Accrediting Commission for Community and Junior Colleges, Western Association of Schools and Colleges, and increased fall 2017 enrollment by 7.9 percent from the previous fall term.

“I want to thank Chancellor Budd for her outstanding work and visionary leadership during her tenure as SJECCD chancellor,” said SJECCD Board President Maya Cruz in the press release.

Pasadena Star News reported that San Jose City College President Byron Breland was recently a finalist for Superintendent of Pasadena City College along with Cliff Davis, currently vice chancellor of the Springfield, Missouri-based Ozarks Technical Community College System. Breland pulled out of consideration after being offered the job of interim chancellor for the SJCC-EVC District for the next academic year. Breland has served as president of San Jose City College since 2013.

“I am blessed to have been given this opportunity,” Breland said. He articulated his confidence and faith in the team he has been a part of and inherits as interim chancellor.

Vice President of Administrative Services, Jorge Escobar cited Breland’s wealth of experience and “visionary leadership” as president of San Jose City College as being a major asset for the district as Breland assumes the role of chancellor.