Student Center becomes a major fair

Find your path, follow your passion

Joeanna Lopez

Students gather in the Student Center to get information about the different departments and programs offered at SJCC during the major fair on Wednesday, April 25, 2018.

Joeanna Lopez, Times Staff

Thirty Two partners ranging from San Jose City College nationally ranked and award-winning programs HVAC, Cosmetology and Journalism to Photography and KJCC Broadcasting, to name a few, filled just about every corner in the Student Center for Major Fair on April 25.

Representatives stood at their booths ready to answer questions about degrees, certificates and opportunities available through courses on campus.

Music played throughout the Student Center while students registered for the event, (simply by signing in) made their rounds being sure to ask for their “passports” to be “stamped.”

“The passports serve as an ice breaker and start the conversation,” said transfer/career counselor Lezra Chenoportillo.

“Stamps” were stickers received through an interaction with the booth representatives including a learned fact and a fact about something the attendee liked pertaining to the booth.

“All radio stations on the west coast begin with a K and on the east coast they begin with a W, except in Pittsburgh,” was a fact shared by Jesus “DJ El Diablo” Arellano, 26, at the Broadcasting booth.

Passports filled with three stamps were redeemed as vouchers for lunch.

Instructors from various departments also attended Major Fair and students were encouraged to introduce themselves before actually taking the professor’s courses.

“Going to office hours and learning how to communicate and converse with my community college professors prepared me to connect efficiently and respectfully with my university professors,” said former SJCC and current UC Santa Cruz community studies undergraduate, Julia Vasquez.

UC Santa Cruz, DeVry University, eBay and Google were among the information booths set up for the event as well as SJCC’s MECHA program.

“Major Fair gives students the command and lead to ‘shop around’ and ask questions to those directly in the know regarding their major interests,” said Chenportillo, “This is one of the many great opportunities Major Fair boasts.”

Cal Hills and Milpitas High School sent incoming freshmen to attend the event, they were able to make first impressions and get their name and face in front of possible future classmates and instructors.

If you missed out on Major Fair and would like more information on the certificates and degrees offered through programs and courses on campus contact transfer/career counselor Chenportillo at [email protected].