City College to elect new student representative

Upcoming special election 411 and candidate forum

Back to Article
Back to Article

An ASG flyer advertising the special election for a replacement student trustee fights for attention among other postings on a message board in the Student Services Center.

Tammy Do

Tammy Do

Tammy Do

Melissa Maria Martinez, Times Staff

The student body will elect a new trustee to represent their interests at the SJECC district in a special election Oct. 19.

The election was commissioned after former student trustee Johnson Tran resigned Sept. 21.

“I really didn’t want to resign but I had to drop all my in-person classes to online full time to focus more on work and help out the financials at home,” Tran said. “It was a really tough decision and I tried finding ways to balance it all but it was unfair for the students as the student trustee should have their 100% attention.”

SJECCD public information officer Ryan Brown said filling this vacancy is a priority.

“It is very important to ensure that the voice of SJCC students is represented on our Board of Trustees,” Brown said. “It’s important that Trustees, including student Trustees, be appropriately elected by the constituencies they represent.”

Before the election ASG is hosting a hold a candidate forum

There are opportunities for students to join student government this semester without running in an election. A number of newly created positions are open `for students to apply and seats are being filled weekly.

“The remaining officer positions in the Associated Student Government will be appointed during our regular meetings,” ASG President Iriana Lozada Luna said.

Students interested can find the application on the SJCC.edu website under the Associated Student Government page.

Students interested in learning more about the candidates running for student trustee can attend the candidate forum Oct. 18.

“I hope whoever the next student trustee is, it’s someone who really is dedicated and is openly vocal to causes that benefits the students,” Tran said.