Multicultural week is launching on the campus

MAGGIE ZOU, TIMES STAFF

Brandon Yanari,27, International student program specialist
Maggie

San Jose City College is not only a community college for domestic students, but also for international students. There are a lot of international student on the campus, however, people don’t notice them. International education week, Nov.14 – 17, is an annual event for international students to show the culture of their country.
“This year we have new events,” said Brandon Yanari, the international student program specialist. “Students will be able to wear some of their cultural items or cultural attire and show off.”
This is his first time hosting this event, he also said one of the exciting part is that he will wear Japanese clothes and teach students Japanese dance for the first time ever.
Another new activity, called the world language mixer, will be presented on Tuesday, Nov.15. International students are going to teach their native language.
Another host is Doriann Tran, the international counselor and the international program coordinator. She has been delegating for international program for many years. “The opening ceremony we tried to replicate the Olympics,” Tran said. “One of the professors brought up this idea. That day on Monday (Nov.14) we are going to hold flags, parade around the college and announce each country.”
International education week is a national event. When SJCC is celebrating it, other college insinuations are doing the same thing around the country.
According to the website, eca.state.gov, “This joint initiative of the U.S. Department of State and the U.S. Department of Education is part of our efforts to promote programs that prepare Americans for a global environment and attract future leaders from abroad to study, learn, and exchange experiences.”