Largest number of students inducted into honor society

[media-credit name=”Courtesy of Michael Casas” align=”alignnone” width=”400″]Largest number of students inducted into honor society[/media-credit]
Commisioner of Publicity, Luis Marquez, poses with new Phi Theta Kappa member Michael Cascino, 33 yearold multimedia/ digital arts major.
San Jose City College inducted a record largest number of students into the school’s chapter of Phi Theta Kappa on Sept. 30.

Sixty-three students were listed as new members of PTK of which a handful attended the induction ceremony. Vice President of Student Affairs, Elaine Burns, presented the certificates of induction to the new members alongside Secretary of PTK, Raymond Woods.

“It’s a great achievement,” said Woods, who was inducted into the honor society in 2009.

“I worked very hard to become a member.” Another campus leader, Raymond Porras, president of SJCC Associated Students, attended the event to honor the record number of students inducted.

“I want to congratulate all the students on their accomplishment.

This is a prestigious honor and students should be proud of themselves,” said Porras, who was also inducted into PTK in 2009.

New members of PTK received a white rose and a candle with their induction certificate.

President of SJCC, Doug Treadway, helped close the ceremony with a few words. Families and friends of the new members stood up applauding the students for their accomplishments.

“It is a great accomplishment to be part of something that will follow me for the rest of my life,” said new member Michael Cascino, a 33 year-old multimedia/ digital arts major.

To join, PTK members must have a 3.5 or higher GPA and sustain a minimum of 12 units per semester. Invitations are sent to eligible students through their e-mails after semester transcripts are posted.

Once a member, students enjoy the benefit of receiving stamps from PTK on their official transcripts.

The seal is recognized by all four-year universities, and has helped many of PTK’s previous members.
Members receive exclusive scholarship opportunities including 3,000 other third-party scholarships.

“I worked really hard and I’m proud to be a part of PTK,” said Cascino, whose mother, Marleen Ashwarth, was also inducted. “She has worked just as hard. It was quite an experience to be inducted with my mom.” Cascino has started the SJCC Film and Video club and participated with AS during his time at SJCC.

Woods said he hopes to plan SJCC PTK events for the future including community service days and guest speakers.

$662
$1000