Jaguars Shutout at home

Zach Tatar

Discipline dipped with 170 penalty yards

Game played Saturday, Sept. 27 2014

San Jose City College played well enough to win Saturday, Sept. 27 at Jaguars Stadium, but after committing 16 penalties for 170 yards the Los Medanos College Mustang took full advantage beating SJCC 28-0 holding the Jag rush game to 2.3 yards per carry and under 100 yards for the fourth straight game this season.
After forcing a total of eight turnovers from Mustang offense, SJCC still could not get anything started.
“Defensively we played well enough to win, “Head Coach Carlton Connor said.” Eight turnovers, three or fourth on their (Mustang) side of the field, and we just didn’t take advantage each time we needed to make a play.” Coach Connor said. “Then we’d have a penalty and you just can’t win at football doing that.” One of the Jag’s turnovers came on LMC’s second drive of the game. Freshman linebacker Christian Paolinetti recovered a fumbled at SJCC’s own 8-yard line.
But the Jaguars wasted their opportunity, going three and out. With how the Jags played in Saturday’s game, player discipline was the main blunder to the Jag offense. They played a good team in Los Medanos College. The Mustangs came into the game averaging 24 points with an average 343 offensive yards per game. This is a young Jag team with a lot to learn on the discipline side of playing this game of football. “Some of it goes back to our maturity, we’re playing with all freshman inside and all sophomores outside,” Coach Connor said. “ We have to watch some film and go in and clean things up.” The offense did struggled to produce offensive yards against the Mustangs.
Only putting up 218 yards opposed to last week’s showing in Monterey but losing 35-24 meanwhile displaying 327 total offense yards. With the lack of offensive production, late some second-string players got a chance play and show off what they had. Freshman starting quarterback Ray Rivera was replaced by freshman backup Trent Paganini, who completed five of six of his pass attempts for 38 yards with one interception. Fellow second-stringer, running back Gabe Davis broke out with his most rushing yards on the season with 44 on seven carries to add to SJ’s 91 rushing yards on 23 attempts on the night. Dorian Williams led the way on the ground for the Jags with 53 net yards finishing with eight attempts. San Jose City will look to bounce back with a win on the road as they travel three hours north to Marysville to take on a Yuba College team, Saturday, Oct. 4. The Jags will look to finish the first half of the season with a win against Yuba before handing into this years scheduled bye week on Saturday Oct. 10. “Our offense will come together,” Assistant Coach Scott Henderson said,” It’s just going to take a little time.”

1 Comment

One Response to “Jaguars Shutout at home”

1. Patrick Loera on February 22nd, 2015 10:16 am

Great article. This is the fifth losing season (below .500) in a row for the Jags. The team seems to lack chemistry and the overall togetherness required to win games consistently. An average of 10 wins in five years is not a good look. Any other college football team would have replaced the head coach years ago. Of course, a coach cannot teach resilience on the field in the final moments of a game, but the coach can promote motivation, enthusiasm and maturity. In fact, using the maturity of freshman as an excuse for losses is not only immature in itself, it is unprofessional as the head coach. Season after season, I see the amount of sideline yells transition from the players to only the coaches as the season comes to a close. Where is the leadership from the captains on the team? What will change in 2015? Has Connor reached the end of his coaching tenure? As a fan and alumnus of SJCC, I’d like to see Coach Connor replaced.

Jaguars Shutout at home