5 steps for starting a club

Starting a club on campus is a great way for students to enrich their experience at San Jose City College.

Meeting with other like-minded students to discuss shared interests or create projects is a great way to connect and get involved with the community.

Blake Blajadia of SJCC Associated Student Activities encourages all students to join clubs and helps newcomers navigate the process of starting a club.

The process begins with following these five easy steps:

Step 1
Pick up a club charter request form from the AS Vice President’s office. Make it formal by writing out details about the club.

In order to be recognized on campus, this paperwork must be finished.

Step 2
Make sure the new club has at least 10 members who have paid their activity fees. The nominal activity fee is associated with registering to be a student at SJCC.

Students seeking to start a club should not let the financial cost block them from doing so. Assistance is available for students and they are encouraged to ask for help.

Contact Jonathan Calmatos, Associated Student Government director of finance, for a financial consultation to help set up your club and apply for funding.

Step 3
Get an adviser. Each club must have a teacher, by-laws and an annual budget in place.

Having a club adviser helps keep the club active and on track.

For new clubs or clubs that have new members, an adviser will help guide the club and follow the established club rules.
This person will also make sure minutes from meetings are filed while keeping club officers, contacts and a calendar in order.

Step 4
Develop a constitution and by-laws.

The club will need a senator and an alternate to attend weekly Friday meetings. These meetings also provide clubs with smart tips on how to set up an event and recruit new members.

Step 5
Submit charter and club paperwork to SJCC AS Activities. The club charter is the founding document of an organization.

A charter usually speaks to membership requirements, which contain a motto or mission statement and the structure of the club. General roles and responsibilities of the club and its members are also included in the charter.

Students seeking to create a club this semester must do so no later than Feb. 18.

$662
$1000