Going from part time to full time

Basic time management techniques help students balance busy schedules

Finding a balance between personal life and school can be a struggle that determines whether you are a part-time or full-time student.

Being a full-time student helps you complete your college education faster, but sometimes working or parenting prevents us from doing so.

With simple time-management tips and planning, you can take your schedule from part-time to full-time.

Using a planner
The first step to successful time management is purchasing a daily planner, in which you can write out your daily schedule for the entire semester.

Do not forget to include things such as appointments, picking the kids up from school and extracurricular activities.

Be sure to leave enough space to write down your assignments and due dates. Having this visual representation of your day-to-day life will help you see when you have free time and help you decide how you use it.

In your planner you should also leave yourself a block of time where you can sit down and complete your assignments.

“Don’t put things off until the last minute,” said Brittany England, 30, drug and alcohol studies major.

It is always best to complete assignments right away, and never wait until the night before or the day of to finish them.

Balancing school and work  
In terms of work, one of the best things you can do is take the majority of your classes on your days off.

It is also important to keep in mind that San Jose City College offers many classes throughout the day. If you work mornings, there are classes available during the evening and vice versa.

Online courses are also a great way for students to work classes into their busy and sometimes unpredictable schedules.

While not every course SJCC has to offer is available online, you will find many required general education subjects such as English, math, history and humanities.

Making a to-do list
At the start of every day you should also make a to-do list that includes everything you need to accomplish for the day.

By having a list of tasks, you are more likely to stay focused throughout the day and complete everything you set out to do.

For extra motivation, reward yourself with a treat at the end of the day for completing your to-do list.

When it comes to studying or completing the tasks on your to-do list, be sure all distractions are turned off. By turning off all distractions you will be better focused on the tasks at hand, and work more efficiently and effectively.

Planning ahead and getting help
Always make sure you plan ahead and expect the unexpected.

By planning ahead you will give yourself a buffer of time to finish everything on your to-do list, even if unexpected events throw off your schedule.

If you are having difficulty with your assignments you should plan ahead and “get a tutor,” said Rosalie Crawford, 19, child development major.

Having a tutor will help you with any struggles you may have and help you stay on track with your assignments.

By following these tips hopefully you can manage to find time in your schedule to go from being a part-time student to a full-time student.

$662
$1000