Veterans Resource Center returns to campus

For the first time since the Vietnam war era, this semester the campus of San Jose City College will open a space dedicated to veterans. The facilities committee of San Jose City College announced its decision on May 14 to allocate space in the Student Center.
Spearheading this movement was President of the Veterans Association Wendy Lone Bear who since 2011 has fought to increase visibility and awareness for veterans on campus.
“We formed an association for veterans on campus during September of 2011, and during the fall of 2012 turned that organization into an official campus club under the Associated Student Government,” Lone Bear said.
On opening day the VRC will feature a comfortable and quiet area for visiting with veterans, a dedicated study area and staff with training to provide information and guidance for continuing and incoming veteran students.
“Steven Mansfield drove the process through the facilities commission, proposing multiple locations until a consensus was reached. His guidance along with the combined efforts of counselor Gary Ledesma, and myself, led to our securing the space.” Lone Bear said.

The plans for the future of the VRC include installing computers, having a program established for drop-in tutors and creating a job placement program.
Having a VRC opens SJCC up as a location for federal work study programs sponsored by the Department of Veterans affairs. Qualifying veterans can work up to 25 hours a week if enrolled full time.
Additionally, having a veterans resource center on campus allows the veterans association to seek grants, donations and other sources of funding dedicated to veterans from a variety of sources, Lone Bear said.
“This is just one step, as we utilize the space, we grow and attract more community support, and attract more veterans. I see us becoming a destination school for not only veterans, but also national guard reservists from Moffett Field, (…) and dependents of veterans who are eligible for VA benefits”, said Lone Bear.
With Santa Clara county having the third largest veteran population in California, as estimated 85,000, according to the Santa Clara County Office of Veterans Services.
The commitment made by SJCC makes its campus more attractive to veterans than other community colleges in the area.

$662
$1000