Work Experience Program faces low enrollment issue

San Jose City College’s Work Experience Program is experiencing low enrollment numbers because of a lack of awareness, as well as  budget cuts.

Work Experience is a chance for students to earn extra elective units for working or volunteering.

Instructors will arrange to meet you to discuss your career goals, career growth and review your career direction. No classroom time is required.

“I feel that I’m uninformed. There’s not enough advertisement, but I think this is a great opportunity for working people,” said Juan Medina, 21, undecided.

Many students do not know of this great opportunity, especially those that are working and are part-time students here.

“Your workplace is your classroom,” said Pat Space, Work Experience coordinator and instructor.

Students must work five hours weekly of paid employment. Those that volunteer must work four hours weekly for each unit.

To get into the program, an application must be filled out then turned in at the GWE office in Room 308A or via email to one of the instructors.

Registration starts in April for the fall semester. For more information or to make an appointment, visit the Work Experience webpage on the SJCC website and see the instructor contact information.

“Getting units for work experience can be effective if it’s well-monitored and controlled,” said Stephen Eckstone, communication studies professor. “It’s not very publicized.”

$662
$1000