Ten tips for Freshmen

Hey freshmen, welcome to San Jose City College! Regardless of why you chose this college, there are 10 things you should know to make sure your time here is not wasted.

1. How to Apply for School?

(For about-to-be freshmen)

This question is one of the most popular questions at the Information Desk and Admission and Records.

To apply to SJCC, you just need to get on the website: cccapply.com or sjcc.edu and go to Apply and Register.

After you’re done registering, take a placement test and visit a counselor.

Make sure you know why you are at college; know your plan.

Talk to a counselor two weeks after the semester starts and two weeks after the semester ends to form your educational plan. You can plan one semester ahead of your academic plan.

2. What is a Student ID for? How do I get one?

After you pay your tuition, you can use your ID card, which has your picture, birthday and student ID number.

You can get this card by providing proof of your class schedule and a photo ID at the information desk in the Student Center.

Your card will be printed once your photo is taken. You can use this card to borrow books from the library and to print by upgrading the card with coins or cash.

More than that, during finals, you can use your student ID card to stay late at the Martin Luther King Library.

3. Get used to the campus’ website: sjcc.edu

Yes, please.

There is tons of information on the website. There are answers for many of your questions about the school, from how to apply to information about student services, courses, library and campus sport teams.

Don’t wait until someone tells you how to do something; go and find out about it yourself.

4. Get Financial Aid.

Many students choose SJCC because its tuition fee is lower than other public institutions. If you have financial problems, don’t be shy. Reach out and you will see there are a lot opportunities for you to get support from the school.

Where to get the info: Student Center, 1st floor.

Phone: (408) 288-3741

Email: [email protected]

When: Monday to Thursday from 8:30 a.m.–5:30 p.m. and Friday from 9 a.m.–1 p.m.

Most schedules of Financial Aid Workshop and Student Loans are provided on the school’s website. Go to Apply and Register, then Financial Aid.

5. Being a Part of the Student Body

You will represent more than 10,000 students at this school and work along with faculty, staff and administrators to give students the kind of school they want, or more likely the kind of school you want to study at.

6. Join the Newspaper and Media Club

Don’t get bored with homework. Joining the campus newspaper or being a part of the radio station may improve your social skills, which are crucial when you look for a job. Being a part of the media, you will experience the real workplace environment and build up your portfolio.

Contact:

Newspaper adviser:

Farideh Dada

[email protected]

Radio club president:

Larry Harris [email protected]

7. Don’t get Lost. Don’t be Late.

There are lots of things happening on campus, such as new buildings, new parking spots or old buildings under construction. Walking around the campus one or two days before class starts is a good idea to make sure you don’t get lost on the first day of class.

In the first two weeks of the semester, parking lots are always full. So try to go an hour or two earlier because it will take time for you to find a parking spot. Make sure you know all the possible parking lots around campus in case you can’t find one where you want to park.

For the college’s map, go to page 8.

8. Go to Your Teacher’s Office Hours and do Your Homework

This is the advice of ESL instructor Margaret Muench and Academic Senate President Charles Heimler.

If you miss a class session, don’t understand the material or would love to discuss more about some topics in the class, go to your teacher’s office. “Students who come to their teacher’s office during the office hours normally get higher grade than students who don’t,” Heimler said.

Muench encouraged students to understand their teachers on a more personal level, and she said that would help them a lot.

9. Buying Books

Yes, college students do need textbooks. Online shopping or exchanging books with other students are the best ways to save your money. However, there are a few books you have to buy at our campus bookstore.

After you’re done with finals, don’t throw the books away, sell them back to other students or to the bookstore.

You can also apply to receive book loans, which can be up to $200 from the school’s Association Students Government. Go to Information Desk and ask for a form, fill in and apply!

10. Need a Laptop?

Our school can lend you a few, with a promise you take good care of it and give it back at the end of the semester. You can take advantage of the first and second floors of our school library, which are equipped with computers, printers and photocopy machines.

$662
$1000