The spirit is in the fans

Patrick Loera

Opinion

Last semester, the question about Jaguar sports was “Is it the fans?”

It might have had a minute effect on football and volleyball as they had more losses than wins last season.

But it clearly didn’t influence cross country as they went to the state championships. In fact, not having any fans present might have motivated them that much more to win.

Both men’s and women’s basketball might be motivated also as they have had success with a small home crowd in the stands.

Actually, men’s basketball we went undefeated (7-0) at home in 2012, women’s basketball was building steam with a winning home record, and both teams had few “cheeks-in-seats.”

And softball, one of the most successful sports on campus, has never really had a fan problem because their games are usually during the day when students are on campus.

Plus, the softball team has resembled giants amongst little people in the South Conference for the past 15 years.

Still, whether the Jaguars are successful or not, the fans are the heartbeat of the stands, literally creating energy for the teams to build on.

When people invented the term “team spirit,” they must have been thinking of how the body heat from people creates the spirit of a sport.

Sure, a team can be great without fans, but the Jaguars can be champions with them.

SJCC student athletes are the warriors of our school who fight for the pride of Jaguars and represent the campus on the national level.

They represent us, so we should represent them.

Who knows, maybe your shouts and chants will motivate your classmates, friends or family members to run faster, jump higher, hit harder and be greater for you, the fans.

1 Comment

One Response to “The spirit is in the fans”

1. Jose Gonzalez-Mejia on February 6th, 2013 5:27 pm

As a SJCC alumni (2011) and also a past track and cross country athlete I always believe that our team always did well because of how bad we wanted to win and be the best we can regardless if we had fans or not. We always strive to do our best at the track and also outside the track in academics

The spirit is in the fans