Club members who love to talk

[media-credit id=2 align=”alignnone” width=”400″]Club members who love to talk[/media-credit]
Tony La Rosa, vice president of radio club, broadcasts on KJCC at the San Jose City College in Student Center on Oct. 13.
The tradition of radio is alive in the Radio Club at San Jose City College. “In our current iteration it is a vibrant group of people who are passionate about radio.” said Tony La Rosa, 31-year-old political science student. La Rosa is currently station manager and vice president of the Radio Club. Radio broadcasting has been a tradition for the San Jose area since well before it was named Silicon Valley.

“It’s an environment where any interest that a radio broadcast student has, he can develop that skill to a proficiency that would find him employment in the outside world,” said Larry Harris, 68-year-old communications student and president of the Radio Club.

The club is open to all students regardless of their enrollment in the school’s broadcasting classes but previous experience is recommended. “I see the club as a support mechanism for the radio station and other media outlets on campus” said La Rosa.

“A lot of students would love to have their own show,” Harris said.

“I want to get as involved as I can,” said Yuriria Ponce, 29-year-old member and medical student, “I need to learn as much about radio as soon as I can.”

On plans for this semester, Harris said, “We want to be a little more proactive, with more games, clubs and activities.”

“I would like to see the Radio Club do amazing things on campus” said La Rosa, “the Radio Club’s jurisdiction is not what it used to be.”

“I would like for us to make a formal way to communicate with each other outside of email,” said Ponce.

When asked why Ponce chose radio, “I’m just in love with my voice, I can talk forever.”

$662
$1000